Profile Evaluation: consulting, retail, sourcing, NGO exp.

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello Sameer and others are most welcome to reply as well

I would really appreciate if you can evaluate my profile, thanks.

I am Vaibhav, Indian male, an engineer by qualification but have never worked in IT or engineering related roles.
Below is the snapshot of my profile.

GMAT : 680 (Q49, V34)

Experience : 5.5+ years

Profile : Currently a business consultant, helping an American Social enterprise to set-up India and Bangladesh operations.
1.5 years - Earlier - Business Head for a retail company and helped them set up a retail sore network
Also worked in strategy consulting, sales and business development with same organisation
2- year full time teaching fellow with a leading NGO, taught full time in a school in a slum community in Mumbai
1.5 years - Global management trainee in worlds biggest sourcing and trading company, worked in India, Hong Kong and China

10th : 70%
12th : 75%
B.Teach : 71%

Companies : Two of them very well known, other 2 relatively unknown
Other work- consultant to another social enterprise, also founder of an international(South Asia) conference series - topic: Peace

Strength : Diverse experience, can actually show a need of academic degree, extensive work as a manager and in leadership positions, leadership initiatives, genuine work experience in non-profit sector

Weakness : Low GMAT score, bad academics
Kindly can you please suggest whether I should re appear for the GMAT and try to improve my score or should I go ahead with this score apply

Institutes I am targeting: INSEAD, ISB, XLRI, IIMs ( last three all in India)

Would appreciate help, also if I have breached posting rules or there is some other forum on which I should post please do let me know. Thanks.

Vaibhav

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:730

by Askgened » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:31 pm
HI Vaibhav,

A high score certainly strengthen the chances in b-schools but doesn't guarantees admission. To convert your chances from application to admission, you need to write/frame strong application essays. With the given information, you can target ISB, XLRI & other b-schools. INSEAD would be slightly ambitious which in any case doesn't mean you cannot target. You can try your chances in b-schools by clicking https://tiny.cc/w3byuw

Having said this, you can showcase achievements at work place, headship qualities and ability to contribute to the class during final interviews.

Feel free to post any other queries you might have. You can also PM your number to have a detail discussion on your profile and selection of b-schools.

Regards
--
Richa

m.vaibhav wrote:Hello Sameer and others are most welcome to reply as well

I would really appreciate if you can evaluate my profile, thanks.

I am Vaibhav, Indian male, an engineer by qualification but have never worked in IT or engineering related roles.
Below is the snapshot of my profile.

GMAT : 680 (Q49, V34)

Experience : 5.5+ years

Profile : Currently a business consultant, helping an American Social enterprise to set-up India and Bangladesh operations.
1.5 years - Earlier - Business Head for a retail company and helped them set up a retail sore network
Also worked in strategy consulting, sales and business development with same organisation
2- year full time teaching fellow with a leading NGO, taught full time in a school in a slum community in Mumbai
1.5 years - Global management trainee in worlds biggest sourcing and trading company, worked in India, Hong Kong and China

10th : 70%
12th : 75%
B.Teach : 71%

Companies : Two of them very well known, other 2 relatively unknown
Other work- consultant to another social enterprise, also founder of an international(South Asia) conference series - topic: Peace

Strength : Diverse experience, can actually show a need of academic degree, extensive work as a manager and in leadership positions, leadership initiatives, genuine work experience in non-profit sector

Weakness : Low GMAT score, bad academics
Kindly can you please suggest whether I should re appear for the GMAT and try to improve my score or should I go ahead with this score apply

Institutes I am targeting: INSEAD, ISB, XLRI, IIMs ( last three all in India)

Would appreciate help, also if I have breached posting rules or there is some other forum on which I should post please do let me know. Thanks.

Vaibhav
GMAT-730: Work-exp: 10 yrs.MBA-Top 15 FT ranking b-school: Undergrad-Top 5 College in India

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:740

by ivyctor2010 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:42 am
Hi

You should try to improve your GMAT score. Except for XLRI 1 year program; all other schools you are targeting are quite competitive. Median GMAT score of IIM A/C is 700+.
Your work experience is an area of strength and has fair bit of differentiation. A well defined career goal & good representation of work experience should get you interview call.
For NGO stint. you should prepare these things - why you went into that field, what was the change did you bring it, why did you switch again. Trust me, all Adcom do grill candidates who talk about NGO experience :)
Our mentor group has alums from your target B-Schools and we would be happy to help you out with application.
Ivyctor Mobile App packed with school selection, scholarship, application management and alumni connect
Download https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .app&hl=en

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Apply Point » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:52 am
Thank you for your message.

I would absolutely recommend re-taking the GMAT, as business schools will only take the highest score. With weak academics, it is important to focus on the aspects of the application you can control today -- that is a competitive test score, compelling essays and a strong interview, just to name a few. INSEAD may still be a reach, with a GMAT average of 704, but with extensive preparation, you could increase your score significantly.

Spend the time you have now doing additional GMAT prep and refining your story for the admissions committee. I recommend being as specific as possible when it comes to your short and long-term goals and brainstorming specific meaningful experiences that will make for interesting essay topics.

I wish you all the best. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Mary Pat Jacobs
Director, Apply Point Admissions Consulting
www.applypoint.net