Need Advice: Waitlist & Beyond...Retake GMAT?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Need Advice: Waitlist & Beyond...Retake GMAT?

by weven » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:36 am
Hi, I'm considering taking the GMAT for the 3rd time after being waitlisted for a top 15 school.

Profile:
GMAT 1st: 620 (q?, v36)
GMAT 2nd: 680 (q47, v36)
GPA: 3.28/4.00 from a state school with BS in Finance
WE: 4.5 yrs managing and operating a large family restaurant business
Intern: Merrill Lynch
Well rounded profile: study abroad, community club, etc.

Obviously the answer is yes a higher GMAT will help especially on the waitlist, but how about a lower GMAT score? I have heard that major Management consulting companies as well as IB companies look at GMAT as a component of recruiting. Is it imperative that I retake the GMAT with my current quantitative or do I have a shot at major MC & IB companies with my current profile? Is my state school undergraduate degree going to hurt enough that I need to compensate with a higher GMAT? Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:14 pm
weven wrote:Hi, I'm considering taking the GMAT for the 3rd time after being waitlisted for a top 15 school.

Profile:
GMAT 1st: 620 (q?, v36)
GMAT 2nd: 680 (q47, v36)
GPA: 3.28/4.00 from a state school with BS in Finance
WE: 4.5 yrs managing and operating a large family restaurant business
Intern: Merrill Lynch
Well rounded profile: study abroad, community club, etc.

Obviously the answer is yes a higher GMAT will help especially on the waitlist, but how about a lower GMAT score? I have heard that major Management consulting companies as well as IB companies look at GMAT as a component of recruiting. Is it imperative that I retake the GMAT with my current quantitative or do I have a shot at major MC & IB companies with my current profile? Is my state school undergraduate degree going to hurt enough that I need to compensate with a higher GMAT? Thanks.
Weven:

As you might expect -- there's no 'one size fits all' answer here. That said, an improved GMAT can never 'hurt', assuming that the GMAT score is the thing that is holding your application back. How much improvement do you think you 'have in you' at this point?

Take a gander at Stacey's article about the difference between a 700 and a 760. https://www.manhattangmat.com/articles/7 ... erence.cfm

My experiences suggest that you'd want to be thinking about 'how do I make a 50+ point move'... not sure that a simple 20 point improvement is enough to change minds in most MBA admissions offices.

Anything else in your dossier that you think you could 'plus up' between now and then? Any new work experiences to share since application?

Let me know what you think.

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:45 am
Hmmmm, well, basically the answer is: Since you have plenty of time, if you believe you can get higher, yes retake. It's worth the increased chances... esp. since 680 is borderline okay for top programs, and even 20 points higher is already good!
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by brianlange77 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:48 pm
Jon@Admissionado wrote:Hmmmm, well, basically the answer is: Since you have plenty of time, if you believe you can get higher, yes retake. It's worth the increased chances... esp. since 680 is borderline okay for top programs, and even 20 points higher is already good!
Weven -- I think what you see in this thread is that there isn't going to be one right answer here -- IMHO, I don't think 20-pts is worth two months of your life, because my own experience tells me that in and of itself is not going to cause significant reconsideration on your file. Even if you take the most sadistic view and say "Well, the admissions office wants as high of an average GMAT score as possible for admitted students... they'll take the 20 points", we should examine that.

If it's a small program -- 250 enrolled students/year, your 20 point increase is worth 0.08 points on their overall GMAT score. A 750-student program/year, it's worth 0.025 points.

Just my $0.02 -- there's more to the application than the GMAT.

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by max_roper » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:40 am
Thanks Weven.

I sympathize with your frustration. Perhaps I can open your eyes to another perspective.

You know another quality Management consulting companies, IB companies, and top schools evaluate in addition to GMAT? Previous management and/or consulting experience. Like most competitive pre-MBA candidates, it can be difficult to gain such experience and provide vivid examples of leading successful projects in difficult business team climates.

If you are connecting with my above point, here is a solution for gaining this experience and elevating your candidacy: volunteer management consulting. There are several organizations like SCORE, Net Impact, USALC, and Taproot that assist nonprofits and small businesses in need of strategic planning assistance by partnering with volunteer professionals.

I suggest that you check out these organizations as an alternative path to achieving your MBA goals.

Thank you & Good luck,

Maxwell Roper
Outreach Director
USA Leadership Corps (USALC)
www usaLeadershipCorps org

by flipper » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:14 am
I read the discussion here about GMAT score below average, I think you may want to take a look at this lecture. apparently there's a lot to do even if your GMAT is not 750: https://www.aringo.com/low_gmat.htm

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MBAAdmissionsCoach » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:44 am
Weven -

This may be too obvious, but have you considered getting in touch with your contact at the school to ask what you can do to improve your profile and proactively move yourself from the waiting list to the admitted list?

I recognize that some schools have very strict policies about this. However, relative to the waitlist portion of your question, you may be able to secure some concrete feedback from the school on what would be most helpful.

Additionally, a stronger GMAT score may put you in line for some scholarship or other funding.

Wendy

Wendy Flynn
MBA Admissions Coach
[email protected]
I love to talk about MBA admissions with MBA applicants! If you find my posts helpful, please take a moment to click the "thank" icon at the top of the page and/or follow me!

Wendy Flynn
MBA Admissions Coach
[email protected]
https://MBAAdmissionsCoach.com

Blog: MBA Expert Insights: https://MBAAdmissionsCoach.com/blog

Facebook: https://www.Facebook.com/MBAAdmissionsCoach

Twitter: https://www.Twitter.com/WendyLFlynn

Member of AIGAC: Association of International Graduate Admissions Consultants

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Apply Point » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:18 am
I would re-take the GMAT. Schools only take the highest score, when you apply, as that is the one they will submit for rankings purposes. When it comes to post-MBA employment, if you are required to submit a GMAT score, you only have to submit your highest score as well.

At this point, you can't change your GPA, so I recommend focusing on the aspects of the application you can control today...and the GMAT is just another gauge, besides GPA, of whether or not you can compete in the academic rigor of the MBA programs you are applying to.

I hope this helps. I wish you all the best!
Mary Pat Jacobs
Director, Apply Point Admissions Consulting
www.applypoint.net

by weven » Thu May 09, 2013 8:01 am
Thank you all for your replies, the application process has been a daunting task to say the least. I owe you all an update.

Currently, I am still waitlisted at Duke and Ross after round 2. However, I have been accepted to CMU Tepper, UCLA Anderson, and UVA Darden so the process is finally over.

To those of you in similar situations, I have found that M/B/B will require a 700+ GMAT according to everyone I have talked to in the industry (for the most part, hard for anyone under to get offers). But they are not the only management consulting companies. After much debate with myself and talking with friends/family/schools, I have decided to pursue Investment Banking instead (more for future career reasons and hate for constant traveling during the interview process).

I'll be attending UVA Darden and have decided to take the next few months to enjoy my time with the people around me instead of the GMAT. I still have fears over a lower GMAT score during recruiting but that means that I will need to excel in other areas to make up for it. Thank you all for your help and opinions during this process. As others have said, there are no right answers.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by brianlange77 » Sat May 25, 2013 6:56 pm
Weven:

Congrats on Darden -- fantastic. You'll love Charlottesville.

Now that you are in -- I'm going to withdraw my advice from a few months ago. Here's the question... are you not picking MC because of your 680. If your dream is M/B/B, and then won't look at you under 700, you need to challenge yourself a bit. Are you going to give up on your dream because of 20 points? Or was that not really your dream?

You can always retake the test in June/July/August before school picks up -- you never know!

-Brian

by weven » Tue May 28, 2013 10:39 am
Thanks Brian.

I'm not pursuing MC because I realized that it isn't what I want to do. I originally considered MC because there seems to be a trend among MBA students to go into that field. After doing more research and looking at my future aspirations, I decided that I would rather go into IB/finance.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by campbellronald7 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:26 pm
It sound like you have a good amount of experience and your scores are above average. I just completed a graduate program at Babson College and had similar stats as you; I would definitely add their San Francisco MBA programs to the list. It was such a great experience and I think you would be an awesome fit...check it out, and best of luck.