Why is this happening ??!!

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Why is this happening ??!!

by gmatquant25 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:28 am
Hi ... I 've this problem when tackling verbal section . Every time i randomly pick 25 questions in CR , i end up getting 6-7 wrong answers ( in timed en . When I review the mistakes after a 15-20 min. of break i realize i could have answered those correctly . The same goes with SC and RC .

Is this fatigue or lack of understanding ? How do i improve my performance ..any suggestion is greatly appreciated .

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:37 am
Probably a combination of the things you are talking about. The best thing for you to do is get a clear picture of what you are getting wrong and why. Study the answer explanations and what trap you fell for...
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:18 am
It could very well be fatigue, in which case you need to start working on that by answering LOTS of questions in a row.

Are you able to categorize the types of mistakes you are making? Or is it just a case of "zoning out" and missing crucial information?

If it's a focus issue, then you should work on the way in which you engage with Verbal questions. When it comes to Reading Comprehension (RC) and Critical Reasoning (CR) questions in particular, it's crucial that you engage 100% in the passage. If you "zone out," you'll end up re-reading the passage, and this is a time killer.

One suggestion: rather than approach a new passage with dread ("I don't enjoy reading this at all"), try to feign interest ("Excellent! This passage is about stock market regulations in Mexico!"). The better your engagement, the better the results.

You'll find additional tips to help you better engage with the passage in this free video: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... on?id=1123

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:720

by Maulik_gmat » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:06 am
I used to have such issues but, I realized that more than fatigue it was my mindset of rushing through the first option that I find correct without evaluating other options.
I think you should evaluate the way you are answering the questions before pin pointing the problem.......
Hope this helps

You can follow my blog on https://maulikhelpsu.blogspot.in/ or can write to me on [email protected] for any help.