00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Which of the following most logically completes the passage?

Most bicycle helmets provide good protection for the top and back of the head, but little or no protection for the temple regions on the sides of the head. A study of head injuries resulting from bicycle accidents showed that a large proportion were caused by blows to the temple area. Therefore, if bicycle helmets protected this area, the risk of serious head injury in bicycle accidents would be greatly reduced, especially since ______________________.

(A) among the bicyclists included in the study's sample of head injuries, only a very small proportion had been wearing a helmet at the time of their accident

(B) even those bicyclists included who regularly wear helmets have poor understanding of the degree and kind of protection that helmets afford

(C) a helmet that included protection for the temples would have to be somewhat larger and heavier than current helmets

(D) the bone in the temple area is relatively thin and impacts in that area thus very likely to cause brain injury

(E) bicyclists generally land on their arm or shoulder when they fall to the side, which reduces the likelihood of sever impacts on the side of the head.

OA: D

According to the Powerscore CR Bible, this type of fill-in-the-blank questions in which there are words such as since or because are Assumption questions. Even in their classification of each question of the OG 13th, they consider these questions as Assumption questions.
I don't agree. For example, this question is a Strengthen question in my opinion. The OA is not an assumption is an additional fact that makes the conclusion stronger. If it were an assumption question, the argument would indicate that the author is assuming something, isn't it?

In summary, are these questions Strengthen or Assumption questions?

Thanks!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:700

by hemant_rajput » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:23 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

metallicafan wrote:Which of the following most logically completes the passage?

Most bicycle helmets provide good protection for the top and back of the head, but little or no protection for the temple regions on the sides of the head. A study of head injuries resulting from bicycle accidents showed that a large proportion were caused by blows to the temple area. Therefore, if bicycle helmets protected this area, the risk of serious head injury in bicycle accidents would be greatly reduced, especially since ______________________.

(A) among the bicyclists included in the study's sample of head injuries, only a very small proportion had been wearing a helmet at the time of their accident

(B) even those bicyclists included who regularly wear helmets have poor understanding of the degree and kind of protection that helmets afford

(C) a helmet that included protection for the temples would have to be somewhat larger and heavier than current helmets

(D) the bone in the temple area is relatively thin and impacts in that area thus very likely to cause brain injury

(E) bicyclists generally land on their arm or shoulder when they fall to the side, which reduces the likelihood of sever impacts on the side of the head.

OA: D

According to the Powerscore CR Bible, this type of fill-in-the-blank questions in which there are words such as since or because are Assumption questions. Even in their classification of each question of the OG 13th, they consider these questions as Assumption questions.
I don't agree. For example, this question is a Strengthen question in my opinion. The OA is not an assumption is an additional fact that makes the conclusion stronger. If it were an assumption question, the argument would indicate that the author is assuming something, isn't it?

In summary, are these questions Strengthen or Assumption questions?

Thanks!
Sometime it happen such that a question falls in more than one categories. Question like above can be taken as strengthen or assumption. Sometimes it happens that the assumption strengthen the argument of the author. My suggestion is that don't mug this method rather understand them. These tricks are given to you to explore your understanding and approaches. There is no hard and fast rule in verbal like maths.

Hope that make sense.

Regards,
Hemant
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:36 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Metallica -- You are correct.

I would certainly say that this is a strengthen question. The correct answer is indeed not an assumption. It is a new fact that strengthens the argument but is not absolutely necessary.

For this question, why not just take it sort of naturally? I think that these fill-in-the-blank questions especially lend themselves to just supplying the answer that fits, without overthinking it.

That is my one concern with Power Score is that they cause people to over think these questions.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course