New Kid In The Block

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

New Kid In The Block

by Shuvajoy » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:10 pm
Hello,
I'm planning to take the GMAT in 2015, & I had a few queries. It will be very nice if you could clarify them.I will give you my entire academic profile so that you can appraise & tell me what I should do.

I graduated in 2008 from Calcutta University with English Honors. I had two "pass" subjects, namely Political Science & Philosophy. The marks in these subjects are not considered to calculate the percentage in graduation in Calcutta University. So during the selection process, will those marks be taken into consideration? 1st class is awarded if 60% marks is scored. My scores were as follows:
1st year (only pass subjects)- 40%
2nd Year (only English, which was my major)- 60.25%
3rd Year (Only English which was my major)- 55%

My scores in class 10 was 86%, & in 12 it was 77%.. What do you think my GPA will be??

ISB Hyderabad says minimum of 2 years of work exp is required for admission. Does it mean 2 years of "continuous" work exp, or 2 years of work exp in total? I've been working at LIC Housing Finance Ltd for the past 6 months, but I'm about to quit this organisation, as I've been selected as a probationary officer in a leading bank. Now, the date of joining the bank is unknown. So will this break in service period be taken into account??

Apart from that, I'm also pursuing correspondence courses in MBA from ICFAI University & MA in Sociology from IGNOU. Will the marks in these courses be taken into consideration while calculating my GPA??

I know the mail is a long one, but it will really be helpful if you could take the pain to clarify my doubts.

Thanks a lot in advance

Shuvajoy

Legendary Member
Followed by:85 members

by essaysnark » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:16 pm
Hi Shuvajoy -- Congrats on getting started so early!! Those who give themselves plenty of runway tend to do the best in this process.

Most top bschools don't actually want you to translate your academics to the 4.0 GPA system - but just in case you're curious, we have a post on the EssaySnark blahg that covers this topic: https://essaysnark.com/2011/09/gpa-conversion-stress/

The bschool adcoms will take into account the quality of your college and your ranking, and they'll look at each individual class you took and how you did. Then, they'll compare all that to the entirety of your app - it's a very holistic process. The academics matter but it's just one part of it. The interesting bit is your English degree; that's quite unusual when it comes to Indian candidates. So that sets you apart, at least a little.

Your correspondence courses will not be included in your college GPA calculations, but it does need to be reported on your application. Some bschools may wonder why you're doing that AND applying for a traditional MBA program; it could actually complicate your pitch.

For the ISB requirement of two years of work experience, they mean continuous post-college experience, but it doesn't have to be at one employer. If you'll have an extended gap of employment then you'll need to explain that to the adcom in your application. Since you graduated in 2008 then the adcom will need to know what you've been doing in that time (most people who graduated then are looking at 5+ years of work experience, so that will need to be explained). Don't worry about explaining all this stuff to us here on the forum - we're just pointing out the issues and alerting you to what will need to be covered and carefully presented in the way you develop your pitch.

Hope this helps!
EssaySnark
EssaySnark has MBA application guides for HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, NYU and pretty much any other school you can name - including a fully revised and expanded 2015 Columbia essay guide!
https://essaysnark.com/bookstore/
The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Shuvajoy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:46 pm
Thanks essaysnark for the reply. I'll definitely explain what happened after I graduated in 2008. I had decided to become a bureaucrat right in the second year of college. So as soon as I passed out, I started preparing for the Indian Civil Services Examination, which is considered to be the toughest examination in the whole of India. The exam itself is almost a 15 month process, & candidates get 4 shots at it. The syllabus itself is so vast that one seldom gets time to get involved in any other stuff & continue preparing. I took 3 shots at it, but unfortunately couldn't get past the final hurdle. So that way, I wasted 4 valuable years. I've given up on that now, & I have a job at the moment. I'm very serious about GMAT & want to crack it at any cost. In order to make up for the 4 years that were wasted, I'm pursuing a 2 year MBA course & a 2 year MA course in Sociology simultaneously (which makes it 4 years worth of studying). Doing pretty well in both of them. But one thing I need to know is whether the board will take these scores into consideration while calculating the GPA.
Please ask me anything you want to know about me & I'll tell everything. That way you will be able to appraise me better & let me know of what I should do during the selection process.

Thanks a lot once again. looking forward to your reply

Legendary Member
Followed by:85 members

by essaysnark » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:14 am
Hi Shuvajoy --

As we already said:
essaysnark wrote:Your correspondence courses will not be included in your college GPA calculations, but it does need to be reported on your application. Some bschools may wonder why you're doing that AND applying for a traditional MBA program; it could actually complicate your pitch.
Sorry to hear that you didn't make it through the civil service exams. Sounds like a brutal process! We always thought the GMAT was bad...! :-D Hopefully you'll be able to somehow reflect that on the resume itself; you'll also probably need to include an explanation of the path you've taken in an optional essay.

Given that you're already of the age that many people go to bschool, we'd encourage you to accelerate your plans and move up the GMAT test date. 2015 is a really long ways away; you run the risk of getting too old for a standard full-time MBA program. The schools care about the amount of work experience, but they also care about age. If you've had enough LIFE EXPERIENCE then you may be able to convince them why now is the time for you to be getting the MBA (it seems very odd that you're pursuing an MBA already through correspondence courses BTW - we'll say it again; that complicates your message).

If you want more detailed, personal advice on how to navigate this process based on the specifics of your profile, you're invited to look into our Comprehensive Profile Review service, which is exactly as it sounds ( https://essaysnark.com/tutorial/comprehe ... le-review/ ) - a quick read of the feedback on that page will show you that many people have found value in it. Since you have an unusual position, you'd benefit from some individualized consulting on how to line things up for bschool success.

Hope this helps - good luck with everything!
EssaySnark
EssaySnark has MBA application guides for HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, NYU and pretty much any other school you can name - including a fully revised and expanded 2015 Columbia essay guide!
https://essaysnark.com/bookstore/
The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!