How to Negate the options - Please Help!!

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

How to Negate the options - Please Help!!

by ggmat007 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:44 am

The answer to the question is C

Can anyone let me know how the Options B and C will look like after negating these options.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:700

by hemant_rajput » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:06 am
ggmat007 wrote:Image

The answer to the question is C

Can anyone let me know how the Options B and C will look like after negating these options.
premise :- prime purchaser will not buy software that require high training cost or require user to learn unfamiliar command.
conclusion : - to be successful, software must not require user to learn unfamiliar command.

Question is asking for the inference from the passage

A - option doesn't fit with our conclusion but provide new criteria for a software to be successful.
B - so if we negate this option then the meaning of the sentence will be "commercial software that require user to learn unfamiliar command will not be more expensive than the one which don't require user to learn unfamiliar command". This is in contradiction to the premise because cost of training user is very high in case of the former.

C - we know that prime purchaser will buy a software with no unfamiliar command and thus the software be successful. this is our conclusion too.

D - out of scope; we don't have any information about the given condition.

E - out of scope; we don't have any relation between difficulty in learning a software and the cost of that software.

Hope this helps,

kudos,
Hemant
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:04 pm
this looks like an LSAT question, and not like a GMAT question. is this an LSAT question?
in general, you shouldn't study with LSAT questions - those questions depend much more on "formal logic" and "rigorous" thinking, and much less on the sort of "common sense" connections that typically characterize GMAT CR problems.

--

in any case, there's not much sense in negating the options here, because simply arranging the statements in logical order will reveal the missing link in the reasoning. I.e., in logical order from start to finish, the statements in this argument are:
Programs with unfamiliar commands are expensive to teach.
If a program is expensive to teach, prime purchasers won't use it.
Therefore, programs with unfamiliar commands can't be successful.

here, the argument simply assumes an equivalence / necessary connection between the two boldfaced parts. the rest of the argument is pretty much airtight. so, there's your assumption.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

by ggmat007 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:48 am
Ron thanks for your response.

Ye it's a lsat question.. I m following your advice big time and make a note of whatever I can learn from your advise mentioned in mgmat site.

There are enough gmat questions out there but just to ensure that my cr improves by a considerable extent I took on the challenge of solving LSAT questions. Do you really recommend not to solve LSAT questions and concentrate on d ones which are specific to GMAT types?

by ggmat007 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:59 am
Also is it advisable to solve RC questions from LSAT Set

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:29 am
ggmat007 wrote:There are enough gmat questions out there but just to ensure that my cr improves by a considerable extent I took on the challenge of solving LSAT questions.
bad idea. those questions are much more formal/rigorous and use far less intuitive/real-world reasoning than the GMAT questions. if you study those materials too much, the likely effect on your score will be negative.
Do you really recommend not to solve LSAT questions and concentrate on d ones which are specific to GMAT types?
in other words, "Ron, do you really mean what you wrote in that post up there?"

Yes.

I don't understand "D ones". what does D stand for?

--

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:700

by hemant_rajput » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:32 am
He means "the one"; messaging language- d stands for the
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:35 am
ggmat007 wrote:Also is it advisable to solve RC questions from LSAT Set
honestly, you shouldn't even need to do all the RC's in the GMAT official guides; those books alone contain way, way, way more RC's than you should ever have to use. so, the thought of using non-GMAC sources shouldn't even enter the picture, since there's already a huge excess of RC material from GMAC.

remember that there's zero knowledge to acquire in RC; it's just a matter of understanding how the questions work, and adopting the right mentality toward them. furthermore, there are only 2 such mentalities - one for big-picture questions, and one for detail-based questions.

so, by the time you get through, say, 1/2 of the RC's in the official guide, you either (a) have the right mentality toward the questions, or (b) don't have it.
at that point, you aren't going to accomplish much by studying more RC's. if it's (a), then you are already good to go; if it's (b), then doing more RC's might start to work against you, by solidifying bad habits.

--

the other possible situation, of course, would be a student who doesn't read english well enough to do the RC's.
in that case, doing tons and tons of RC's would also be a waste of time - and a waste of those RC's!
if anyone reading this post is in that situation (i.e., in need of general improvement in reading english in general), then the best way to go about that is to just read tons and tons of stuff in english. then, once you've improved your reading skills (give it at least a year), come back to the GMAT RC's and have at them again.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:39 am
hemant_rajput wrote:He means "the one"; messaging language- d stands for the
thanks. i suppose i am not up on the latest netspeak.

on a forum like this one - whose entire point is to teach and promote the reading and writing of formal written english (!!) - that sort of thing strikes me as a bit inapposite/unprofessional, especially in questions aimed at a moderator. (it wouldn't seem so weird in random chat between members.)
not a big deal, but ... interesting.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

by ggmat007 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:36 am
Ron first and foremost I am really glad to receive a response from you. Thanks a lot for that. I was little confused with LSAT stuff but now I am going to solely concentrate on GMAT RC and GMAT CR.

Kindly excuse me for the type of language I used in posting my query. I always avoid such habit when I write official emails. Will ensure to carry on the same here as well.

Thanks again.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:49 pm
ggmat007 wrote:Ron first and foremost I am really glad to receive a response from you. Thanks a lot for that. I was little confused with LSAT stuff but now I am going to solely concentrate on GMAT RC and GMAT CR.
good.
you shouldn't run out of those. in fact, you should be done preparing for those two tasks (especially RC) long before you exhaust those questions.

Kindly excuse me for the type of language I used in posting my query. I always avoid such habit when I write official emails. Will ensure to carry on the same here as well.
i'm not offended by it; i just think it's weird, in this kind of environment (a professional/expert advice board), that's all.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron