CR Strengthen the conclusion question

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

CR Strengthen the conclusion question

by pratyoosh » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:31 am
Hello,

Can someone Opine on the below problem:

One feature of the global food economy is the simultaneous import and export of the same
items, a phenomenon known as "redundant trade." In California, for example, domestic
cherries are exported to Canada and Japan, while a nearly equivalent number of cherries are
imported from Chile, Italy, and Germany. California also exports and imports nearly
identical amounts of lettuce and almonds. Although shipping fresh fruits and vegetables is an
expensive undertaking, there is a justifiable economic rationale for redundant trade. Which of
the following, if true, most strongly supports the conclusion above?
A) Establishing international ties through trade facilitates access to other desired goods that are
more efficiently produced abroad.
b) Undertaking free trade with one's political allies helps to maintain international goodwill.
c) In recent years, consumers in California boycotted domestic cherries, demanding better
working conditions for agricultural laborers in the state.
d) Local growers could sell their products at a premium in domestic markets.
e) The economic globalization of redundant trade allows for the sharing of cultural norms and
values.

Thanks.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jaxis » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:38 am

by jaxis » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:58 am
Ok let me try to explain this:

One feature of the global food economy is the simultaneous import and export of the same
items, a phenomenon known as "redundant trade." In California, for example, domestic
cherries are exported to Canada and Japan, while a nearly equivalent number of cherries are
imported from Chile, Italy, and Germany. California also exports and imports nearly
identical amounts of lettuce and almonds. Although shipping fresh fruits and vegetables is an
expensive undertaking, there is a justifiable economic rationale for redundant trade.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the conclusion above?

A) Establishing international ties through trade facilitates access to other desired goods that are
(Don't see an economic rationale.even if there is a rationale it would be a far fetched one)

b) Undertaking free trade with one's political allies helps to maintain international goodwill.
(Talks about good will not economic rationale)

c) In recent years, consumers in California boycotted domestic cherries, demanding better
(Too narrow. the passage talks about Almond , lettuce and products like that)

(A direct mention of profit thru premium prices - economic rationale)

e) The economic globalization of redundant trade allows for the sharing of cultural norms and
values.
(Talks about values not economic rational)

by pratyoosh » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:03 am
Hello Jaxis,

I was thinking on the same lines as you, and chose D as the option as well, but apparently its incorrect ?! The explanation provided (in the study material) suggests A as the right answer:

(A) CORRECT. This choice explains that redundant trade allows for easier access
to other desired goods that are more efficiently produced abroad. This is an
explicitly economic rationale for redundant trade.

(D) This choice states that domestic growers would benefit economically from
selling their products locally. This choice weakens the conclusion.

I don't agree with the above and think D should be the right answer..

jaxis wrote:Ok let me try to explain this:

expensive undertaking, there is a justifiable economic rationale for redundant trade.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the conclusion above?

(Don't see an economic rationale.even if there is a rationale it would be a far fetched one)

(Talks about good will not economic rationale)

(Too narrow. the passage talks about Almond , lettuce and products like that)

(A direct mention of profit thru premium prices - economic rationale)

values.
(Talks about values not economic rational)

by jaxis » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:28 am
Makes sense. If they could sell it at premium price locally then why do they need to export.

Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:720

by rishab1988 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:12 pm
I agree that A is the correct answer.

Conclusion is : there is a justifiable economic rationale for redundant trade,that is, exporting of goods that are imported has economic benefits.

D) it says there is more benefit in selling those goods domestically than exporting those goods to other countries.

In other words,it says that if you export goods to other countries, you get other desirable goods that are cheaper than in the home country.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by billnepill » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:33 am
I also went with A as it is the answer choice that will relate the most to "economic rationale".

However, I don't really think that this question is very Gmat like, because it seems to test our outside knowledge too much. Looking at the other answer choices, for example, B and E make sense, but they don't provide economic explanation. Therefore, the question depends not on pure logic, but on our understanding of "economic".

What do you think?

by pratyoosh » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:24 am
Thanks Guys.

I think there is quite a bit of ambiguity in this question and hope this doesn't show up in the GMAT ;).

billnepill wrote:I also went with A as it is the answer choice that will relate the most to "economic rationale".

However, I don't really think that this question is very Gmat like, because it seems to test our outside knowledge too much. Looking at the other answer choices, for example, B and E make sense, but they don't provide economic explanation. Therefore, the question depends not on pure logic, but on our understanding of "economic".

What do you think?

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by [email protected] » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:10 am
Well there is a problem with the concept of 'Economic Rationale.' What the economic rationale really mean is the question:-

1] Does the economic rationale mean that selling it at a cheap rate in the domestic country itself.

Could any of the experts please help in answering this question.
IT IS TIME TO BEAT THE GMAT

LEARNING, APPLICATION AND TIMING IS THE FACT OF GMAT AND LIFE AS WELL... KEEP PLAYING!!!

Whenever you feel that my post really helped you to learn something new, please press on the 'THANK' button.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:35 am
i don't think this question is particularly non-gmat-like.
the eliminations are much more black-and-white than what you'll usually see on the gmat exam (especially if you are scoring at a reasonably high level in verbal), but, you should be able to solve this one very quickly.

all you have to figure out is this:
what is "a justifiable economic rationale for redundant trade"?

let's see what's in the answer choices:

(a) this is an argument in favor of redundant trade: check.
it's based on economics: check. (the efficiency of production of goods is an economic consideration.)

(b) international goodwill is not an economic issue.

(c) human-rights issues are not economic issues. (in fact, most human-rights causes pit their supporters against the proponents of strict economic optimization.)

(d) this argument falls against redundant trade, since it favors the idea of selling domestically (= not trading).

(e) cultural norms and values are not an economic issue.

--

so, it's (a).

this problem is a very good litmus test for whether you're thinking of CR in the way you should. if you are - i.e., if you have a FOCUS on THE ISSUES in the problem ("pro-redundant trade" and "economics") - then you should have no problem eliminating the four wrong answers and keeping the right one.

if you think that anything "needs clarification" or is "unclear" in this problem, then you don't have the kind of focus you need to succeed at CR. there it is.
in fact, if there's any fault with this problem, the fault is that the differences between the answer choices are TOO starkly clear. the official problems generally require you to draw distinctions that are a little more subtle/detailed than these.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Followed by:1 members

by veenu08 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:20 am
I am confused b/w A and D.

D-- if something is being exported then its value would be high.So in return the local growers will get good premium on it- economic rationale

Can anyone please help me understand how to rule out D more effectively.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:49 am
veenu08 wrote:I am confused b/w A and D.

D-- if something is being exported then its value would be high.So in return the local growers will get good premium on it- economic rationale

Can anyone please help me understand how to rule out D more effectively.
the focus is not on the value of the products; the focus is on whether "redundant trade" can be justified economically.
if the growers can get good prices at home, then that's an argument AGAINST redundant trade, not in favor of it.

don't lose track of the issue!
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Followed by:3 members

by himu » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:12 am
+ 1 for A

@Ron,

Thanks so much for your wonderful explanation :)