Annual stockholders meeting

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

Annual stockholders meeting

by amysky_0205 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:40 am
At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a presentation on the numerous challenges facing the company, including among them the threat from a rival's multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the declining sales for the company's powerful microprocessor chip.

A. including among them the threat from a rival's multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the declining sales for
B. which includes the threat of a rival's multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and declining sales of
C. included among these the threat from a rival's multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit as well as a decline in sales for
D. among them the threat of a rival's multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the decline in sales of
E. among these the threat from a rival's multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit as well as the decline in sales for

OA: D

can someone explain why B is wrong?

[spoiler]A)[/spoiler]the parallelism doesn't make sense (threat and declining sales
[spoiler]C)[/spoiler]"threat from" is used for people.
[spoiler]E)[/spoiler]among THEM is better than THESE

is there more things i should be knowing?
plz correct me if i'm wrong.

thank u!!

Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:700

by hemant_rajput » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:00 am
Is it only me or there is something really wrong with this sentence,investors heard a presentation on the numerous challenges facing the company,?
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.

Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:720

by ice_rush » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:56 pm
SV agreement problem (challenges...which include and NOT includes). Also, parallelism is off - Threat and declining sales.

hope this helps.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members
GMAT Score:770

by Tommy Wallach » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:02 pm
Hey Guys,

First thing: parallelism here is FINE, in all 5 answer choices. "threat" is a noun, as is "declining sales," so they parallel just fine. Now, to take the rest apart:
At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a presentation on the numerous challenges facing the company, including among them the threat from a rival's multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the declining sales for the company's powerful microprocessor chip.

A. including among them the threat from a rival's multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the declining sales for
"Including among them" is redundant. "Sales" and "threat" are actually plenty parallel.
B. which includes the threat of a rival's multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and declining sales of
The use of present tense "includes" doesn't match past tense "heard."
C. included among these the threat from a rival's multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit as well as a decline in sales for
"included among" is redundant. "These" is incorrect because "challenges" is an object not a subject. "As well as" is not as good as "and". "Sales for" is an incorrect idiom (should be "sales of")
D. among them the threat of a rival's multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the decline in sales of
Correct!
E. among these the threat from a rival's multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit as well as the decline in sales for
"these" is wrong. "sales for" is wrong.

Hope that helps!

-t
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!

Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:720

by ice_rush » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:57 pm
Hi Tommy,

How is parallelism correct in all choices? Threat and declining sales is not parallel. We are talking about not just 'sales' but 'declining sales'..That makes a difference. Agreed?

Thanks!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gurpreetsingh.1982 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:22 am
Hi everyone,

Quick question about the use of "them" in D. Is it considered to be clearly referring to "challenges"? That's my interpretation of how the use of "them" can be justified in this case. Otherwise I have a tendency to avoid answer options with "them" in it.

Thanks,
Gurpreet