Value of non-MBA Masters as part of my application

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hello,

I was just curious what weight a Masters degree would carry as part of my application to a top MBA program.

The company I currently work for is ranked, according to numerous business publications (Bloomberg,Forbes,Fortune), as one of the top companies in the world right now. Soon they will be expanding on their operations in Asia. The program I want to pursue is a Masters of International Business because it will allow me to work in Japan & buy me some time to continue learning the language/culture. Ultimately, I would like to use this experience to continue working with my current company but in Tokyo.

Thing is... during my undergrad I had a 2.7 GPA. Since then I have built a solid resume consisting of rapid advancement & leadership and strong volunteering & extracurricular experience. Even during my undergrad I had strong extracurricular experience and was an TA for multiple business courses.

I am very confident I could hit it out of the park (grade wise) in this Masters program. I finished my UG with a 3.9GPA. My 2.7GPA is primarily due to very low marks in my first 2 year and is a terrible indication of my work ethic and aptitude.

Would high grades in this program help when I apply to a top-tier MBA 3-4 years later?

Thank you!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:31 members

by Deena@ClearAdmit » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:08 am
Hi Canadian52 and thanks for your post!

This is a great question, and I can absolutely understand why you're wondering about a graduate program. The short answer is that a graduate program GPA is usually considered less important than an undergraduate GPA. However, it is helpful, if you have additional work and educational experience to show how you've matured since your undergraduate GPA and that your master's degree accomplishments, and your work experience are a better assessment of your capacity to succeed in an MBA program than your undergraduate grades.
Feel free to contact us at [email protected]

Best,
Deena
Deena Maerowitz
MBA Admissions Expert
Clear Admit

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by canadian52 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:18 am
Thanks for the reply Deena!

I will definitely follow up with Clear Admit.