Summers ahead - what to do?

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Summers ahead - what to do?

by bm2012 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:33 am
I shall be applying for Business school this fall. I hope to change my career industry through the MBA. Will it be a good choice to intern with a target industry company this summer?

Also, I have limited options for recommendations. Given that there is nearly 6 months (R1 deadline) 9 months (R2 deadlines), what are my options to 'develop' a referee during this period?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:31 members

by Deena@ClearAdmit » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:52 pm
Hi bm2012 and thanks for your post.
Your career move should really be made based on what's best for your career, not what's best in terms of how the adcom will look at your resume. I don't know how long you've been in your current position, but if you have an employment opportunity that will help you grow and move towards a new career path that you want to experience, then you should consider this. If you don't have recommendations from a current employer (re in a new job) then you can let the adcom know this and use former employers, or a past client, etc. One concern I have is that you are thinking of interning in a target industry this summer. I would not recommend that you leave a paying job for an unpaid internship in general.
Feel free to contact us at [email protected] for a more detailed, free initial assessment.
Best,
Deena
Deena Maerowitz
MBA Admissions Expert
Clear Admit

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by bm2012 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:03 pm
Hi Deena

Thank you for the input.

I would like to offer a brief about myself to help you make a better assessment.

I am an Indian male working in the Logistics industry since the past 2 years as a part of a family owned business. Prior to which I worked in financial services for 2 years (one year at a Global Investment Bank in their finance controllers department). I have a business undergraduate degree with 75.5% [the highest score recorded ~85% in the university]. A CFA Level II candidate and holder of an Accounting Technician Certificate from ICAI [India's governing body for accounting and audit] Plenty of extra-curricular - both during and after college - mostly in social service, teaching and entrepreneurship. GMAT score 710 (51,34).

Still exploring which schools to apply. Target industry - Management consulting. Short Term Goal - work in strategy consulting preferably in supply chain management/education. Long Term - entrepreneurship/family business.