1st vs. 2nd Conditional

This topic has expert replies
GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

1st vs. 2nd Conditional

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:16 pm
Responding to the dramatic affair, the minister of finance has prepared a speech warning the public that unless their ways are changed, dire consequences would soon befall them.

A. the minister of finance has prepared a speech warning the public that unless their ways are changed, dire consequences would soon befall
B. a speech has been prepared by the minister of finance warning the public that unless their ways are changed, dire consequences will soon befall
C. the minister of finance has prepared a speech warning the public that unless their ways are changed, dire consequences will soon befall
D. the minister of finance has prepared a speech warning the public that unless their ways are changed, dire consequences had soon befallen
E. the minister of finance has prepared a speech warning the public that unless their ways are changed, dire consequences soon fell upon

Answer A is grammatically incorrect as it incorrectly uses the Future-Past (would befall) in the result part of a Conditional 1 sentence. We identify the sentence as a Conditional 1 sentence by the use of unless + the Present in the condition part (unless... are). Accordingly, the result part of the conditional sentence should be in the Future or Present tense. Answer B corrects the original Conditionals error by using the Future tense in the result of a Conditional 1 sentence, but it creates a Dangling Modifier. The sentence begins with a modifier: Responding to the dramatic affair. A modifier should be placed right next to the noun it describes. The only noun that this modifier can logically modify is minister. The noun minister, however, is quite far from the modifier that describes it. Therefore, it seems like the speech is responding to the dramatic affair.
Let's have a look at answer C. This answer choice corrects the original Conditionals error by using the Future tense in the result of a Conditional 1 sentence. This might be the right answer but we need to check all the remaining choices anyway.
Answer D is grammatically incorrect as it incorrectly uses the Past Perfect (had befallen) in the result part of a Conditional 1 sentence. Answer E, on the other hand, incorrectly uses the Past Simple (fell) in the result part of a Conditional 1 sentence.
Thus the correct answer is C.
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:640

by Ankur87 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:14 am
Kasia@EconomistGMAT wrote:Responding to the dramatic affair, the minister of finance has prepared a speech warning the public that unless their ways are changed, dire consequences would soon befall them.

A. the minister of finance has prepared a speech warning the public that unless their ways are changed, dire consequences would soon befall
B. a speech has been prepared by the minister of finance warning the public that unless their ways are changed, dire consequences will soon befall
C. the minister of finance has prepared a speech warning the public that unless their ways are changed, dire consequences will soon befall
D. the minister of finance has prepared a speech warning the public that unless their ways are changed, dire consequences had soon befallen
E. the minister of finance has prepared a speech warning the public that unless their ways are changed, dire consequences soon fell upon

Answer A is grammatically incorrect as it incorrectly uses the Future-Past (would befall) in the result part of a Conditional 1 sentence. We identify the sentence as a Conditional 1 sentence by the use of unless + the Present in the condition part (unless... are). Accordingly, the result part of the conditional sentence should be in the Future or Present tense. Answer B corrects the original Conditionals error by using the Future tense in the result of a Conditional 1 sentence, but it creates a Dangling Modifier. The sentence begins with a modifier: Responding to the dramatic affair. A modifier should be placed right next to the noun it describes. The only noun that this modifier can logically modify is minister. The noun minister, however, is quite far from the modifier that describes it. Therefore, it seems like the speech is responding to the dramatic affair.
Let's have a look at answer C. This answer choice corrects the original Conditionals error by using the Future tense in the result of a Conditional 1 sentence. This might be the right answer but we need to check all the remaining choices anyway.
Answer D is grammatically incorrect as it incorrectly uses the Past Perfect (had befallen) in the result part of a Conditional 1 sentence. Answer E, on the other hand, incorrectly uses the Past Simple (fell) in the result part of a Conditional 1 sentence.

Hello Kasia,
Can you please explain conditional 1, 2 and 3 in brief.
I am confused.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by mohit_1607 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:24 pm
Ankur87 wrote:
Kasia@EconomistGMAT wrote:Responding to the dramatic affair, the minister of finance has prepared a speech warning the public that unless their ways are changed, dire consequences would soon befall them.

Hello Kasia,
Can you please explain conditional 1, 2 and 3 in brief.
I am confused.
I read somewhere in the SC about the 3 Conditional statements:
1.If I sing then I will win the lottery.
2.If I sang then I would win the lottery.
3.If I had sung then I would have won the lottery.

The statement in question above is the first one(Simple Present--will)
*Considering Unless and If conditions to be equivalent.
Hope It Helps..Cheers!!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Alina Ross » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:05 am
Very nicely explained by mohit_1607 using the examples. :)