Changing Jobs Often Hurts Chances?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Changing Jobs Often Hurts Chances?

by jahbless101 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:36 am
I'm a 26 Y/O white male with good-but-not-great stats (3.4 GPA, 760 GMAT). Since graduating college, i've spent roughly 1.5 years at 3 jobs. I've worked at the leading IT research company, leading EMR vendor (the EMR of Stanford, UChicago, Northwestern, and many other leading institutions), plus a healthcare revenue cycle consulting company.

I just received an offer I'd have a hard time refusing. It is for another (smaller and lesser known consulting company). I'd be getting a massive raise and a big upgrade in benefits and work/life balance, but will this help or hurt my chances? It's an EMR consulting company, so it fits with my overall career goals of healthcare management, however it is not a prestigious company and I do not know how Adcoms view serial job-hoppers.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by westsidah408 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:33 pm
Typically, adcoms will consider serial job-hoppers as folks unable to settle down. However, if your movement can be explained vis-a-vis career goals, advancement, raises etc., I don't think it's really that bad. Just be honest about why you switched positions. Though, less than 2 years at a position doesn't look that great since the MBA itself is 2 years.
jahbless101 wrote:I'm a 26 Y/O white male with good-but-not-great stats (3.4 GPA, 760 GMAT). Since graduating college, i've spent roughly 1.5 years at 3 jobs. I've worked at the leading IT research company, leading EMR vendor (the EMR of Stanford, UChicago, Northwestern, and many other leading institutions), plus a healthcare revenue cycle consulting company.

I just received an offer I'd have a hard time refusing. It is for another (smaller and lesser known consulting company). I'd be getting a massive raise and a big upgrade in benefits and work/life balance, but will this help or hurt my chances? It's an EMR consulting company, so it fits with my overall career goals of healthcare management, however it is not a prestigious company and I do not know how Adcoms view serial job-hoppers.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:31 members
GMAT Score:620

by Kaneisha Grayson » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:33 am
Hi JahBless101 (awesome username BTW!),

As long as you can show career progression, deliver compelling (and true) reasons why you moved from each company to the next, I think taking that job is a good idea (as long as you have researched the culture to make sure it fits your work style and made sure you can have a good relationship with your boss, all important things since these will be the folks writing your rec).

A few of my sectionmates at HBS were serious jobhoppers before school, and I've helped a few restless clients weave together a compelling story to tie it all together.

Don't be too discouraged about your stats (I wouldn't blink twice at those if you were my client) as long as you are willing to invest some serious time into working magic with your essays. You want to really focus on sounding clear, mature, and self-aware in your essays since these are things the AdCom will worry regarding your candidacy.

Good luck!
Kaneisha
Harvard Business School MBA 2010, Harvard Kennedy School MPA 2010
Founder, The Art of Applying
Admissions Consulting for MBA, MPP, Joint Degrees, and Fellowships
https://theartofapplying.com

Want free advice that actually works? Sign up for my weekly MBA, MPP, and JD newsletter here: https://theartofapplying.com/newsletter/

My clients have earned over $3.1 million in fellowships from Harvard and other top MBA, MPP, and JD programs since 2010.