Tough OG 13 Question

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Tough OG 13 Question

by GaneshMalkar » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:31 am
List T consist of 30 positive decimals, none of which is an integer, and the sum of the 30 decimals is S. The estimated sum of the 30 decimals, E, is defined as follows. Each decimal in T whose tenths digit is even is rounded up to the nearest integer, and each decimal in T whose tenths digits is odd is rounded down to the nearest integer. If 1/3 of the decimals in T have a tenths digit that is even, which of the following is a possible value of E - S ?

I -16
II 6
III 10

A I only
B I and II only
C I and III only
D II and III only
E I, II, and III

OA - B

Not able to find a way to do this in 2 mins ... Experts please help :(
If you cant explain it simply you dont understand it well enough!!!
- Genius

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:86 members

by Anju@Gurome » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:55 am
GaneshMalkar wrote:List T consist of 30 positive decimals, none of which is an integer, and the sum of the 30 decimals is S. The estimated sum of the 30 decimals, E, is defined as follows. Each decimal in T whose tenths digit is even is rounded up to the nearest integer, and each decimal in T whose tenths digits is odd is rounded down to the nearest integer. If 1/3 of the decimals in T have a tenths digit that is even, which of the following is a possible value of E - S ?
To simplify the situation, let us assume the decimals are 1.a, 1.b, 1.c, etc. and rounded to tenth place.

Now, 30/3 = 10 of these decimals will be rounded up and rest 20 will be rounded down to the nearest integer. Hence, E = 10*2 + 20 = 40

Now, S will be maximum when all the decimals have tenths digit either 8 (even) or 9 (odd). Hence, maximum value of S = 30 + 10*(0.8) + 20*(0.9) = 56
Now, S will be minimum when all the decimals have tenths digit either 2 (even) or 1 (odd). Hence, maximum value of S = 30 + 10*(0.2) + 20*(0.1) = 34

Hence, maximum value of (E - S) = (40 - 34) = 6 and minimum value of (E - S) = (40 - 56) = -16
Hence, -16 ≤ (E - S) ≤ 6

The correct answer is B.
Anju Agarwal
Quant Expert, Gurome

Backup Methods : General guide on plugging, estimation etc.
Wavy Curve Method : Solving complex inequalities in a matter of seconds.

§ GMAT with Gurome § Admissions with Gurome § Career Advising with Gurome §

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:48 pm
List T consist of 30 positive decimals, none of which is an integer, and the sum of the 30 decimals is S. The [/u]esimated sum of the 30 decimals, E, is defined as follows. Each decimal in T whose tenths digit is even is rounded up to the nearest integer, and each decimal in T whose tenths digit is odd is rounded down to the nearest integer; E is the sum of the resulting integers If 1/3 of the decimals in T have a tenths digit that is even, which of the following is a possible value of E-S?

I. -16
II. 6
III. 10

(A) I only
(B) I and II only
(C) I and III only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

Make the problem CONCRETE by plugging in easy values.
10 of the values must have a tenths digit that is EVEN, while the other 20 values must have a tenths digit that is ODD.
To make the math easy, let's not consider decimals beyond the tenths place.
Try to MAXIMIZE E-S and MINIMIZE E-S.

E-S MAXIMIZED:
To MAXIMIZE the value of E-S, we must MINIMIZE the value of S.
To minimize S, we must ROUND UP the even decimals as MUCH as possible (from .2 to the next highest integer) and ROUND DOWN the odd decimals as LITTLE as possible (from .1 to the next smallest integer).
Let S = 10(.2) + 20(.1) = 4.
In E, .2 is rounded up to 1 and .1 is rounded down to 0:
E = 10(1) + 20(0) = 10.
Thus, the MAXIMUM possible value of E-S = 10-4 = 6.

E-S MINIMIZED:
To MINIMIZE the value of E-S, we must MAXIMIZE the value of S.
To maximize S, we must ROUND UP the even decimals as LITTLE as possible (from .8 to the next highest integer) and ROUND DOWN the odd decimals as MUCH as possible (from .9 to the next smallest integer).
Let S = 10(.8) + 20(.9) = 26.
In E, .8 is rounded up to 1 and .9 is rounded down to 0:
E = 10(1) + 20(0) = 10.
Thus, the MINIMUM possible value of E-S = 10-26 = -16.

Since the MAXIMUM difference is 6 and the MINIMUM difference is -16, only I and II are possible values of E-S.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by coolhabhi » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:11 am
GaneshMalkar wrote:List T consist of 30 positive decimals, none of which is an integer, and the sum of the 30 decimals is S. The estimated sum of the 30 decimals, E, is defined as follows. Each decimal in T whose tenths digit is even is rounded up to the nearest integer, and each decimal in T whose tenths digits is odd is rounded down to the nearest integer. If 1/3 of the decimals in T have a tenths digit that is even, which of the following is a possible value of E - S ?

I -16
II 6
III 10

A I only
B I and II only
C I and III only
D II and III only
E I, II, and III

OA - B

Not able to find a way to do this in 2 mins ... Experts please help :(
My Honest answer: Select some answer and get to the next question. It is better that way rather than banging up our heads in the exam hall on such questions. It would save time for other questions.