no improveent in verbal

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

no improveent in verbal

by mary3572 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:14 pm
hi everyone,
I want to know how to improve my verbal score,28th nov was my first gmat attemp and i get pathetic score 460(Q40 ,V15),i study the concept and again i gone through OG13,OG10 and 1000sc for practice in verbal,i used to practice as set test(3 passage in 30 min,30 sc 30 min and 25 cr in 30 min)in each passage i used to get 3 out of 4 correct,cr my accuracy was 70% and in sc 50% .yesterday i gave gmat prep test 1 and my result:(500,Q46,V15)i dont know why my verbal didnt improve at all?;(
i am planning to give my test in May;
and my target score is 720

experts kindly help me to improve my verbal score and correct my plan if i have done any mistakes in preparation.

thank you all
. :cry:

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:16 am
How did you learn the theory of concepts tested in the GMAT? Did you use any special resources for this purpose?
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by mary3572 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:03 pm
hi kasia
i took classes in jamboree institute in bangalore india last year.
they were worked mostly OG 10 and OG 11 and they cover most of the concept in verbal and quant.
although i am not a native speaker i don't have much problem in concept but in test i confused to choose correct answer and when i check my mistake i see that i know most of the rule but i didnt apply them correctly and one more thing after i complete quant i become tired and maybe because of that i cant focus on verbal.i think i need some gmat strategy,kindly guide me.
thank you,thank you,thank you for your help kasia.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by neha24 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:14 pm
hi mary
well i can understand the confusion that u might be having at the moment .in my view ,if u know the concepts and ur not able to apply those concepts in time then probably those concepts are not really flowing within u .memorized knowledge can help u to some extent but unless applying of those concepts gets ingrained in ur mind it wont help u much and trust me no amount of coaching ,especially the ones u talking, will help u .i myself have seen the standards of most of coaching in and around ur place.they just cut copy paste the material .the best thing i can recommend u is to form a good, erudite and serious group at ur place or online (though the disadvantage with the later is that response time is little too much) and keep discussing things(not only the wrong ones but also the right ones).there is a sound logic in my tip .when u keep discussing concepts they become almost ur second nature and thus applying becomes easy !!
my second tip wud be make realistic goals .this one is not to discourage but to tell u that progress is always made in steps

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ggmat007 » Tue May 28, 2013 3:13 pm
By any chance are you guys aware whether we have any GMAT study group in Bangalore? If yes then it will be great to meet new people who have one thing in common - work hard to Beat the GMAT :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by hutch27 » Tue May 28, 2013 5:49 pm
Try making a meeting group online with people on this forum who are in a similar situation. There's some good online group meeting programs you could use if you wanna do online groups. Team viewer, go to meeting, Skype... I did online work with someone on this forum and it helped. Good luck.