In a recent study examining the relationship between

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members
In a recent study examining the relationship between expectation and experience of flavor, researchers conducted a taste test with over 200 participants in which each person tasted two versions of a cola beverage, one of which they were told contained a "secret ingredient." Because the secret ingredient was white vinegar, researchers were surprised when participants preferred the white vinegar version of the cola beverage by a margin of three to one.

Which of the following, if true, offers the best basis for an explanation of the fact that participants preferred the beverage containing white vinegar?

a Most people actually prefer a cola beverage containing white vinegar.
b Study participants focused on identifying the beverage with the "secret ingredient".
c Researchers added only a small amount of vinegar to the cola.
d Study participants were selected based on their enjoyment of white vinegar.
e Most cola recipes contain no white vinegar.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by himu » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:45 am
Experts pls help on this one...

@neha24...whats the source...I definitely think its not OG or GMAT PREP coz its pulling too much between B & D.

I would love to see experts thoughts on this one.

we need to find the best basis for an explanation of the fact that participants preferred the beverage containing white vinegar ? why would they prefer ???

B : Study participants focused on identifying the beverage with the "secret ingredient".
so might be they were drawn to it?
whereas
D : Study participants were selected based on their enjoyment of white vinegar.
checking here : if researchers had selected the participants then they needn't be surprised :P
[spoiler]I go with B ![/spoiler] whats the OA ???

GMAT Score:720

by ice_rush » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:20 am
agreed. this one should be B.

GMAT Score:640

by Ankur87 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:10 am
neha24 wrote:In a recent study examining the relationship between expectation and experience of flavor, researchers conducted a taste test with over 200 participants in which each person tasted two versions of a cola beverage, one of which they were told contained a "secret ingredient." Because the secret ingredient was white vinegar, researchers were surprised when participants preferred the white vinegar version of the cola beverage by a margin of three to one.

Which of the following, if true, offers the best basis for an explanation of the fact that participants preferred the beverage containing white vinegar?

b Study participants focused on identifying the beverage with the "secret ingredient".
IMO : [spoiler]B (for sure )[/spoiler] is the answer.

We can say Participants wanted to identify the beverage with the secret ingredient.

others are out of scope.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:15 pm
neha24 wrote:In a recent study examining the relationship between expectation and experience of flavor, researchers conducted a taste test with over 200 participants in which each person tasted two versions of a cola beverage, one of which they were told contained a "secret ingredient." Because the secret ingredient was white vinegar, researchers were surprised when participants preferred the white vinegar version of the cola beverage by a margin of three to one.

a Most people actually prefer a cola beverage containing white vinegar
The researchers were SURPRISED: participants in the taste test were not expected to prefer the white vinegar version.
One explanation for the surprising results: there was ANOTHER REASON -- apart from taste -- that participants preferred the white vinegar version.

Answer choice B: Study participants focused on identifying the beverage with the "secret ingredient".
This answer choice explains the surprising results:
Participants preferred the white vinegar version not because they liked the taste but because they focused on identifying the version with the "secret ingredient".

The correct answer is B.

Reasons to eliminate:
If these answer choices are true, then the researchers would not have been SURPRISED when participants preferred the white vinegar version.

This answer choice does not explain why participants preferred the white vinegar version.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by neha24 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:42 pm
thanks Gmat guru
i got ur point as how ur stressing the importance of that word "surprised" in the stimulus but plz elaborate this isn't the question stem a little disguised
the question stem says :Which of the following, if true, offers the best basis for an explanation of the fact that participants preferred the beverage containing white vinegar

i somehow thought on reading the question stem that i have to pick the probable reason to explain that weird ratio of 3:1 and hence picked A .don't u feel the question stem sud have been structured so as to ask the reason for that surprise ?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by [email protected] » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:48 am
Weird answer choices. None make valid answer.

A: Most people actually prefer a cola beverage containing white vinegar. But that doesn't mean that the participants were reflective of the population.

B: Study participants focused on identifying the beverage with the "secret ingredient". But that doesn't mean that participant will like the mix. They focused but why did they prefer it?. So we will have to assume that focusing on surprise item causes preference. Seems big leap.

C: Out of scope

D: Study participants were selected based on their enjoyment of white vinegar. Can be the reason why most participant preferred the mix. Also, may be the researchers did not pick the candidates and so were surprised. But again this is an external assumption.

E: Out of scope