VERY LOW VERBAL SCORE

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

VERY LOW VERBAL SCORE

by harshbajaj09 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:30 pm
Hi

After working hard for 3 months for this big day, I took the GMAT today. I did not expect to see what I saw when i clicked on the get scores button. My verbal score was 21 and Quant 48(Overall 570). I never got such low verbal scores ever in any of the practice tests. This was my first attempt and I was expecting much better scores than this. I was getting an average verbal score of 32-33 on all my practice tests which is not good enough. My target was 650, so I thought I could achieve my target with this score because I was confident in the Quant section. I never had confidence in the verbal section.I am scared of RC's and get most of them incorrect.I really need help from experts as how can I overcome this fear of verbal and where can I get the quality material for practicing verbal.Please can someone tell me where I went wrong in my preparations and what should be the strategy before I take the second attempt? How much time shall I give myself for boosting my scores from 570 to 650?

Thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:32 pm
Could you please give more details concerning your preparation and also what problems exactly do you face when trying to solve RC questions? Are you able to understand RC passages and answer choices fully or do you sometimes struggle with difficult vocabulary?
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by vomhorizon » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:13 am
Reading comprehension,is something where you can definitely find and fine tune a strategy. Did you try the various strategies to tackle RC, or did you just read one and went along with it? As Katia said, it would be best to analyse what is going wrong in RC, do have a problem with vocabulary and harder more intense passages etc. Are you just reading just for the sake of reading or are you "strategically reading"...You should try a few approaches to RC, and see which strategy works best for you. Once you have the strategy locked down, its just a matter of being comfortable with it, and unlike SC where you would be well served with attempting hundreds of practice questions, in RC you can get away with far less practice provided you master your strategy and familiarize yourself with reading heavy passages.

One more Point - In my case (i took the GMAT around a month back) RC accuracy was direcly dependent on how quickly and efficiently i went through SC and CR, the more time i had, the better i could "comprehend" the passage and then answer the questions. My accuracy went down considerably when i had less and less time. Therefore, your accuracy may depend upon how long you take on average per SC and CR question.
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." - Eric Thomas

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by parthmittal2007 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:23 am
Hi The same case exist with me. Can you please guide me the best book(Other than official guide) to start the preparation again.
What About the Kaplan Verbal Workbook?