Profile evaluation

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile evaluation

by Jgerard » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:36 am
I would appreciate any feedback you might have. I have read through the threads and it is clear to me, I will not be a "competitive" candidate for some top programs. My undergrad GPA is 2.97 and my GMAT, taken once, is 640 (40, 38, 6.0). That being said I am curious to what extent a Masters Degree (Chinese Studies) is considered during the admissions process? This time my GPA is 3.9. Additionally, I am currently in a "non-traditional" career as an Analyst for the DoD. My job requires that I know many languages and so I am fluent in Chinese, Spanish, French, and Portuguese. Many schools emphasize their multilingual students. Can you comment on how significant this is in the admission process. Finally, I am looking exclusively at international schools in Europe and Asia. Any idea how their admissions might differ from US schools?

Thank you for your time.

Jgerard

Additional info

by Jgerard » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:06 pm
1.Undergrad: Boston University (Major Economics and International Relations), AA from the Defense Language Institute, Recipient of Stillwell Award for Academic Excellence and Cultural Awareness, Graduate Degree (Chinese Studies) from University of Hawaii, Manoa

2.Job Specific: 3 promotions in the past 3 years, Native level proficiency on Chinese, Spanish, French and Portuguese Proficiency Exam (used for State Department and other gov agencies).

3. Volunteer at Junior Achievement, teaching elementary students about business and economics

4. Studied in Spain and France as an undergrad.

5. Avid big wave surfer

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:58 pm
Dear Jgerard,

I think your professional experience and multilingual skills will serve you well in your applications. Schools in Europe and Asia do evaluate candidates differently than the US, but the differences are not that significant. All schools will be looking for you to demonstrate the academic aptitude, communicate a solid rationale for your MBA, and effectively convey your career goals. Likewise, the schools will be expecting you to explicitly "connect the dots" between your background, their particular MBA program and your career goals. Your masters degree will help demonstrate your ability to succeed at the graduate level and be scrutinized.

I would encourage you to reach out to your target schools and ask if you can connect with alumni/current students to learn more about the programs. Likewise, you can get additional insight into what these schools value in its applicants so you know what to highlight in your application.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by Jgerard » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:38 pm
Lisa,

Many thanks for the advice.

Aloha,

Jgerard