690.....missed 700 mark

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

690.....missed 700 mark

by dipzzz » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:42 am
Hi,
Indian, non-native, female .I gave GMAT second time yesterday and scored 690 (Q 47, V 38)....slightly disappointed on missing 700 mark. My scores for Manhattan tests ranged from 670 to 700.
GMAT Prep scores were 680 & 700.
Materials used
Powerscore CR Bible
LSAT CR ques
E-gmat ( awesome resource to improve SC)
Manhattan SC guide
Manhattan guides (quant)
GMAT question pack
Additional practice using questions posted on
For CR , there were several questions on ' what logically completes the argument'. SC was easy...thanks to e gmat.
Also got one question in CR that I had already done during my preparation :) ...didn't expect to see a familiar question in exam.
Quant was definitely easier than manhattan practice tests.I think that I could have done better in quant.

Now I have to decide whether I should go for retake. But sitting for 4 hours exam again :cry:
Any suggestions ?

This was my debrief...I would be happy to help if any of you needs advice ...have a huge folder full of gmat resources (collected from various forums ).

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by shreerajp99 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:49 am
690 is a good score.I scored 630(Q39,V37) in my previous attempt.
Retaking exam by end of this month.Can u share ur Manhattan test scores and tips for quant?
I believe if u r applying to Round1 fall 14,then u have time to retake.But if u are applying now then go ahead with 690!

by dipzzz » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:47 pm
Hi,
I gave 3 Manhattan tests before this attempt- 670, 690, 700.
In my case, timing is a problem for quant section. So, if I go for retake, I will take timed tests for quant section...maybe gmatclub tests.
If you have already identified your weak areas in quant, then focus on those topics. Analyze and identify patterns. You can try doing topic-wise practice using gmatclub.
All the best !!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by eki » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:46 pm
Hey Dipzz,

Congratulations on your score....I know it must be really difficult for you to handle 690.....so close yet missed it... On your retake here are my thoughts :

1. If you are planning to apply anytime soon.. say in next 2 months then dont even try.Its possible that your score might drop. I am sure when adcom looks at a score like 690..they know that the candidate could well have scored a 720 as well...so it wouldn't create much difference.

2. If you are planning to apply in sept-oct time and you feel you can improve the score atleast by 30 points then think about a retake.

I hit the 700 mark in my third attempt......so I know how difficult it is to restart the prep and handle the stress.

whatever you decide to do...I wish you luck :)

regards,
Eki

by dipzzz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:31 am
Thanks eki for your inputs...

Deepthi Subbu: there is some issue with my account...unable to reply to PM. So here's my response

Apart from the books, I used question sets from gmatclub.com there are good collections of 700 + questions.
For verbal you should consider taking up e gmat course. I took only SC. But I have read great reviews for entire verbal course too.
Initially try questions by type...it will help you to identify patterns.
For quant, once you complete manhattan books...its practice practice n practice.
GMAT question pack is available on GMAC. You can buy it for $ 25. These are official questions fir additional practice. Good thing is that questions have been classified as easy, medium, hard.
Hope this helps...All the best!!

by dipzzz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:34 am
Hi Nachiket,
There is some problem with my account...unable to reply to PM. Here's my response to your question-

e-gmat.com - I took up the SC course. However, I have read great reviews about their complete verbal course too.
There are few free modules ....you can check out to understand their approach.