Advice Please | Newbie | Selecting Business School

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,
I am an Indian Male, 25 yrs old with 32 months I.T (Software Enginner) work experience. I did my B.Tech in Electronics and Communication with a CGPA of 7.1 (out of 10) which translates directly to 2.84 out of 4 :(.
With a profile having bits and pieces of everything (average flute player and singer,into corporate social responsibility management team and green belt in taekwondo)
I am interested in doing MBA in marketing/ event & Media as thats where my interest lies. Could you kindly let me know with my work experience and ethnicity etc, which would be the colleges I should target which offer best courses in Marketing/Event & Media alongwith good ROI.
I need this information so that I can apply to send scores to these colleges while giving my GMAT as I currently dont know how much will I score.
Thanks!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaguy2012 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:31 pm
Hi

Do you have any geographical preferences in mind. You have a matching profile for all tier 2 schools in Europe if you complete around 40+ months of work experience and score between 620 & 720 in GMAT. Please do not fall in this trap.

With the present state of the global economy, the worth of an MBA studied internationally is going down at a brisk pace, until you study at a top school like INSEAD, IE & LBS, as most of the international candidates have to go back home after the MBA. At home they find it difficult to market themselves because of the relatively nonexistent reputation of these tier 2 schools in those countries. Its not worth taking the risk these days. I would advise you to look at tier-2 schools in the US (if you can afford the high tuition) & can score very well on GMAT or better so in your own country. My Indian buddies talk highly of many schools in India which despite the crisis are getting many international recruiters recruiting on their campus, something nonexistent in Europe. Although they tell me that these schools are very difficult to crack into, a name which has caught my attention lately is SPJain SchoolofBusiness in Singapore & Dubai. Why don't you try for that. It is now represented on the FT rankings.

You can also aim at schools in Singapore & Hong Kong but you will need to boost your profile with at least 1 to 2 years of work experience and a GMAT score of around 700. Ideally you should first prepare well for GMAT, get a score on hand and then look for a compatible school.

Hope it helps.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by lovinlife4u » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:13 am
Hi,
Thanks for your Inputs.
I was only targetting INSEAD,IMD and HEC in Europe.
My geographical preference otherwise is America.
Could you let me know what do I need to add to my profile in order to be elligible for Tier -1 business schools?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaguy2012 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:09 am
Hi,

I think your profile is a little young for these schools at present and in some cases may not even meet the minimum requirement of three years work experience and a bright CGPA.

Having said that, you can boost your profile with 2 to 3 years of quality, international & responsibility laden work experience showing considerable & more than average achievement. You will also have to target a GMAT score in the range of 740 to 760 and put in an excellent application to come close to securing a place at least at INSEAD & IMD.

USA could be a good option but i would advice you to have realistic hopes & target the 2nd tier schools in the US with a top GMAT score.