From 550 > 640 > 710. Self-Belief is the key !!!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Hi,

First of all I want to say thanks to the BeattheGMAT community for resolving my problems, boosting my confidence, helping in learning and much more.

There is always a cause behind everything you do. And that cause let you push you the to the extreme limit. People attempting GMAT surely wants to do MBA from the reputed college. If that's your dream, then don't let failure overshadow your dream. One day you will succeed in GMAT & there is no question about that. BELIEF in yourself is the key.

I started with GMAT diagnostic test and till I came to Verbal I lost my concentration & I did not even attempted many of the questions. Result 550. One learning that I had from diagnostic test is that I really have to focus on my concentration during the entire test. And other learning is I need to work very hard & smart on Verbal. I started with exploring people experiences in BTG community, talking to my friends who already had given the GMAT. From that I came out with the set of book I judged would be best for me to improve Verbal.

CR: PowerScore Bible
SC: Aristotle SC GRAIL 2nd edition
Manhattan SC
RC: No such material

OG: OG 13th edition

Because my Verbal was very weak I decided to lay my maximum attention to the Verbal. My quant was fairly strong.

My First Plan:

Verbal:

SC: (1 month)
I started off with SC and decided to complete Aristotle SC GRAIL 2nd edition, Manhattan SC & OG 13th edition SC questions in 1 month time frame. I study 2 hrs daily and 4-5 hrs on weekend. Aristotle SC GRAIL 2nd edition is needed when you are not very clear on the grammar concepts. After completing the book I moved on to Manhattan SC. This a MUST do book. Each line of this book presents a new concept. It depends on you how much you can take out of this book. After completing Manhattan SC I moved to SC in OG 13th edition and do the timed practice of the SC questions. My per question average time was around 2 min.

CR: (1 month)
I started off with PowerScore Bible. Fairly good book. Good on foundations of concept. After that I moved to OG 13th edition CR questions & did the timed practice for the questions. My per question average time was around 2 min.

RC: (20 days)
I did not consulted any book for the RC. I directly started off with OG13 passages. I used to skim passages without understanding the theme of the passages and then attempt the questions. My per RC average time was around 9 min.

Quant: (15 days)
After completing all the Verbal material I practiced for Quant from OG, Manhattan Advance Quant guide and other miscellaneous sources.

Practice Tests:
After completing all the materials, I was very excited to see what I can score in the practice tests.

Manhattan 1: Q (48) V (29) : Total (630)
Manhattan 2: Q (46) V (32) : Total (640)
Manhattan 3: Q (47) V (35) : Total (680)
Manhattan 4: Q (51) V (39) : Total (740)
Manhattan 5: Q (49) V (34) : Total (680)

GMATPrep 1 (2008 version): Q (50) V (28) : Total (660)
GMATPrep 2 (2008 version): Q (50) V (31) : Total (680)
GMATPrep 3 (latest version): Q (50) V (30) : Total (670)
GMATPrep 4 (latest version ): Q (50) V (40) : Total (740)

What went wrong:
My weakest part was RC. I was afraid of long passages but overlooked this thing & hoped that long passages will only come at the end of the Verbal section. I did not worked on my RC strategy. So stupid of me!! As a result I bombed the GMAT. On test day I got 4 para passage on the 11th question. As I was already behind the time in Verbal and when I saw the long passage I lost my confidence and just to compensate the time I skipped all the 4 questions in the passage without even reading the passage. I know that was the worst decision of my life but that all happened because I was not ready for it. As a result I scored Q (49) V (28) : Total (640)

The best thing happened to me after the test was I did not lost my confidence. I was more confident after getting 640 with a thought in my mind that I CAN DO IT.

My Second Plan: (1.5 months)

I started working over the things I missed in my first preparation.

1. Focused lot on RC. I started understanding the passages and then attempted the questions. This not only saved time but also increased my accuracy. My per RC average time for short passage came around 5-6min & per RC average time for long passage [4 para] came around 7-8 min.

2. Bought more Official material to practice. OG 10th edition & Verbal Review 2nd edition

3. In the first attempt I was keep on doing only SC questions for weeks, only CR questions for weeks & only RC questions for weeks. But for 2nd attempt I used to practise 41 questions that contain SC + CR + RC. That helps me to improve alot.

4. I practiced 700-800 level GMATPREP questions [SC & CR]. The questions can be downloaded from gmatclub.com. They are must do question if you are targeting 700+ score.

5. I started doing Kaplan test. I heard a lot of mixed views about it but personally it helped to boost my confidence. The verbal part is really tough & challenging.

6. When I get free time in the office, I used to take practice free questions by Veritas. https://gmat.veritasprep.com/. The questions are absolutely free to practice & the question quality is really good.

7. Most importantly, I did not loose confidence in me.

Practice Tests: Just because I exhausted al the Manhattan & GMATPREP test in my first preparation I start giving Kaplan test.

Kaplan 1: Total (740)
Kaplan 2: Total (720)
Kaplan 3: Total (720)
Kaplan 4: Total (740)

The helped me boost my confidence, especially in verbal.

Test Day: The exam went rather smoothly and without any significant hiccups on Maths and Verbal. The questions and the screen almost made me feel that I am taking another practice exam. This time I banged the RC with full confidence. CR was fairly easy as compared to GMATPREP. For SC I must say that rule out options is the best possible strategy. You will see some different questions in SC, the type you have never practiced before. For that don't loose confidence, just start eliminating options based on the rule you have learnt so far.

Scored Q (50) V (36) IR (6) AWA(4.5) : Total (710)

That's how went the story of my prep.I hope that my detailed study plan would be helpful to you. As you can see from my planner,I had divided the entire preparation into phases and then into sub-phases. Each week I had my targets to complete and I'd ensure that come what may,I'd achieve those targets.

Special Thanks:

Ron Purewal: For the "Thursday with RON" videos & the detailed explanation on every tricky problem.
Last edited by ankit0703 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:600

by manishkd » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:16 am
Awesome Ankit!!!

Your tips are very helpful for everyone. All the best for your applications....

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:720

by digvijayk » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:14 pm
Congrats on the great score!
Follow my blog at: https://gmat0.blocked/

No business could ever survive without strategy, so how can your test preparation? Get your strategy in place today. Go to:

https://www.amazon.com/GMAT-Improve-Dras ... 00A7CTV1A/

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by adthedaddy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:27 am
Thanks Ankit for posting an inspiring review :-)
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary" - Steve Jobs

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ravivu » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:05 pm
Congratulations ankit

by ankit0703 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:43 pm
adthedaddy wrote:Thanks Ankit for posting an inspiring review :-)
Thanks. :)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by amyhussein » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:38 pm
Thanks sooooo much really inspiring. i will retake the gmat in 15 days.
may you please share the link for the 700-800 level GMATPREP questions [SC & CR] download

Also may you please elaborate more on ow you improved on RC, what more material you studied for the strategies and practice

thank you

by ankit0703 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:10 am
amyhussein wrote:Thanks sooooo much really inspiring. i will retake the gmat in 15 days.
may you please share the link for the 700-800 level GMATPREP questions [SC & CR] download

Also may you please elaborate more on ow you improved on RC, what more material you studied for the strategies and practice

thank you
You can download the CR document from the link :
https://gmatclub.com/forum/download.php? ... mit=Search

Search for cr 700 to 800 level practice questions.pdf & CR 700 to 800 club Solutions.pdf. I cant locate the SC link. For that I have attached the SC document.

As far as RC is concerned, what I would suggest you to understand the theme of the each paragraph of the passage while reading it. Keep close watch on words like BUT, However, IF etc. In the starting you might face timing issue. In spite of getting discouraged, keep practicing passages & you will certainly improve your timing & accuracy by great extent.

Best of luck for your GMAT. :)
Attachments
SC_700_to_800_club_solutions.pdf
(667.21 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
SC_700_to_800_level_practice_Q.pdf
(319.77 KiB) Downloaded 102 times