Intuition VS Methodical reasoning

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

Intuition VS Methodical reasoning

by Soumita Ghosh » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:15 am
Traditionally, decision-making by managers that is reasoned step-by-step has been considered preferable to intuitive decision-making. However, a recent study found that top managers used intuition significantly more than did most middle- or lower-level managers. This confirms the alternative view that intuition is actually more effective than careful, methodical reasoning.
The conclusion above is based on which of the following assumptions?

(A) Methodical, step-by-step reasoning is inappropriate for making many real-life management decisions.
(B) Top managers have the ability to use either intuitive reasoning or methodical, step-by-step reasoning in making decisions.
(C) The decisions made by middle- and lower-level managers can be made as easily by using methodical reasoning as by using intuitive reasoning.
(D) Top managers use intuitive reasoning in making the majority of their decisions.
(E) Top managers are more effective at decision-making than middle- or lower-level managers

OA E

I am confused with D and E.

I am not finding any solid reason to eliminate choice D.I searched Internet and found that some people has written that the reason for eliminating choice D is they are already mentioned in the premise. But if we read the sentence in the passage carefully( However, a recent study found that top managers used intuition significantly more than did most middle- or lower-level managers). we will found that significantly more than is not same as the word the majority in the sentence " Top managers use intuitive reasoning in making the majority of their decisions."

I found Choice D correct as if we negate it. If we assume that Top managers do not use intuitive reasoning in making the majority of their decisions. Then it will make the conclusion fall apart. Then it cannot be conclude that intuition is actually more effective than careful, methodical reasoning.

There is another question. In assumption question if in the option there is restated premise then we cannot take that option as our answer?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by SueD » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:42 am
I chose E thinking about why intuition is more effective than step-by-step reasoning.

A - doesn't answer why intuitive is more effective.
B- again, doesn't answer why intuitive is more effective.
C- implies both are the same but we want to find out why intuition is more effective.
D - doesn't answer why just that they use intuition in the majority of their decisions.
E - why do they use intuition more? Because they are more effective at decision-making than mid or lower-level mgrs.

That's how I figured it, at least.

Cheers.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by dixitnagpal » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:33 pm
I am not finding any solid reason to eliminate choice D.I searched Internet and found that some people has written that the reason for eliminating choice D is they are already mentioned in the premise. But if we read the sentence in the passage carefully( However, a recent study found that top managers used intuition significantly more than did most middle- or lower-level managers). we will found that significantly more than is not same as the word the majority in the sentence " Top managers use intuitive reasoning in making the majority of their decisions."
Hi there is language shift here. the argument shifts from saying that top managers take more decisions intutively to intuition is actually more effective than careful, methodical reasoning so here clearly it is assumed that the most of decisions of top managers are effective.Answer E serves the purpose

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:33 am
agarwalva wrote:Traditionally, decision-making by managers that is reasoned step-by-step has been considered preferable to intuitive decision-making. However, a recent study found that top managers used intuition significantly more than did most middle- or lower-level managers. This confirms the alternative view that intuition is actually more effective than careful, methodical reasoning.
The conclusion above is based on which of the following assumptions?

(A) Methodical, step-by-step reasoning is inappropriate for making many real-life management decisions.
(B) Top managers have the ability to use either intuitive reasoning or methodical, step-by-step reasoning in making decisions.
(C) The decisions made by middle- and lower-level managers can be made as easily by using methodical reasoning as by using intuitive reasoning.
(D) Top managers use intuitive reasoning in making the majority of their decisions.
(E) Top managers are more effective at decision-making than middle- or lower-level managers
Premise: Top managers USE intuition.
Conclusion: Intuition is MORE EFFECTIVE.

The argument assumes that there is a link between the USE of intuition and the EFFECTIVENESS of intuition.
If top managers who USE intuition are NOT MORE EFFECTIVE, then the conclusion is invalidated.

Answer choice E:
For the conclusion to be valid, IT MUST BE TRUE THAT top managers are more effective at decision-making than middle- or lower-level managers.
Yes: If top managers are NOT MORE EFFECTIVE at decision-making, then the argument cannot conclude that intuition -- which top managers USE -- is more effective than careful, methodical reasoning.

The correct answer is E.

Answer choice D can be eliminated because it does not provide the missing link between USING INTUITION and BEING EFFECTIVE.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3