Over the past few years banks have systematically

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:620
Over the past few years, banks have systematically raised their old fees and invented new ones that are harder and harder for consumers to avoid.

(A) banks have systematically raised their old fees and invented new ones that are harder and harder for consumers to avoid

(B) banks are systematically raising their old fees and inventing new ones that become harder and harder for consumers to avoid.

(C) banks systematically raising and inventing new ones make them harder and harder for consumers to avoid

(D) as banks systematically raised their old fees and invented new ones, avoiding them becomes harder and harder for consumers

(E) as banks have systematically raised their old fees and invented new ones, it is becoming harder and harder for consumers to avoid them.

Answer is A

Please explain the choices. [spoiler]In choice (E) what them refers to ? My understanding says, it refers to "banks" or "old fees and new ones". Am i correct ?[/spoiler]

Thanks & Regards
Vinni

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:37 am
In choice E, you're correct that there is some ambiguity! The GMAT is often inconsistent of the issue of ambiguity, though. The larger problem in this problem is that E switches the intended referent of the pronoun "they/their."
(E) as banks have systematically raised their old fees and invented new ones, it is becoming harder and harder for consumers to avoid them.
Here, "their" is being used to refer to "banks," while "them" is referring to "fees" (the most likely explanation from a meaning perspective). Because "their" and "them" are two versions of the same pronoun, we can't use them to refer to different nouns. The GMAT often allows pronoun ambiguity (see my posts on ambiguity below), but it never allows the use of one pronoun (or pronoun type) to refer to 2 different things within the same sentence, so E is incorrect.

Here is some further info on pronoun ambiguity and switching references:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/bear-markets ... tml#549435
https://www.beatthegmat.com/declaration- ... tml#539397
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:620

by vinni.k » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:35 am
Thank you Ceilidh and e-gmat. Appreciate your replies. :D

Regards
Vinni

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:36 am
e-GMAT wrote:Yes you are correct. In choice E, the pronoun "them" is ambiguous. It could refer to either banks or fees.
i have a doubt regarding your explaination . the reason is object pronoun can never refer to the subject of the clause because of this the following sentence is wrong :
you should stop looking at you in the mirror
in such cases we need reflexive pronoun to refer to the sunject
correct : you should stop looking at yourself in the mirror

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members

by e-GMAT » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:42 am
After your reading your question, I feel that you have a serious gap in your understanding of how pronouns are used. Let's take a few official questions. I will only reproduce pertinent portion of the correct answers here for the sake of our discussion on pronouns. In these sentences pay close attention to the highlighted pronouns and their antecedents.

OG13#4 Choice B
At the end of the 1930s, Duke Ellington was looking for a composer to assist him - someone who could .....

OG13#47 Choice B
In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Iliad, a work that took him seven years...

OG13#8 Choice E
In late 1997, the chambers ...were closed to visitors...because moisture...had raised humidity within them to such levels that salt...was crystallizing...

In all the sentences above the object pronoun refers to the subject of the clause. I hope with these examples you can identify the gaps in your understanding of how pronouns are used. I suggest you learn the basics of pronouns from a good reference book or you may review "Pronouns" concept in the free trial of e-GMAT SC course. To access free trial, register here . You may view a help video here .

Regards,

Payal

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by shmulik » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:19 pm
what about the tense("is becoming") in E?
Over the past few years, as banks have systematically raised their old fees and invented new ones, it is becoming harder and harder for consumers to avoid them.

Over the past few years,...., it is becoming...
i think that it is not the correct tense.[/u]

Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:640

by sachindia » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:55 am
ceilidh.erickson wrote:In choice E, you're correct that there is some ambiguity! The GMAT is often inconsistent of the issue of ambiguity, though. The larger problem in this problem is that E switches the intended referent of the pronoun "they/their."
Here, "their" is being used to refer to "banks," while "them" is referring to "fees" (the most likely explanation from a meaning perspective). Because "their" and "them" are two versions of the same pronoun, we can't use them to refer to different nouns. The GMAT often allows pronoun ambiguity (see my posts on ambiguity below), but it never allows the use of one pronoun (or pronoun type) to refer to 2 different things within the same sentence, so E is incorrect.

Here is some further info on pronoun ambiguity and switching references:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/bear-markets ... tml#549435
https://www.beatthegmat.com/declaration- ... tml#539397
Extremely helpful Ceilidh.. . Is it also wrong because it introduces cause-effect relationship when it isn't present in the original sentence ?
Regards,
Sach

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:27 am
vinni.k wrote:Over the past few years, banks have systematically raised their old fees and invented new ones that are harder and harder for consumers to avoid.

(A) banks have systematically raised their old fees and invented new ones that are harder and harder for consumers to avoid

(B) banks are systematically raising their old fees and inventing new ones that become harder and harder for consumers to avoid.

(C) banks systematically raising and inventing new ones make them harder and harder for consumers to avoid

(D) as banks systematically raised their old fees and invented new ones, avoiding them becomes harder and harder for consumers

Answer is A

Please explain the choices. [spoiler]In choice (E) what them refers to ? My understanding says, it refers to "banks" or "old fees and new ones". Am i correct ?[/spoiler]

Thanks & Regards
Vinni
B: Over the past few years, banks ARE RAISING...
C: Over the past few years, banks MAKE...
D: Over the past few years, avoiding them BECOMES
E: Over the past few years, it IS BECOMING...
The present tense cannot serve to convey an action that has occurred OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS.
Eliminate B, C, D and E,

The correct answer is A.

Only in the OA is the main verb in the proper tense:
Over the past years, banks HAVE RAISED AND INVENTED...
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Score:640

by sachindia » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:49 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
vinni.k wrote:Over the past few years, banks have systematically raised their old fees and invented new ones that are harder and harder for consumers to avoid.

Answer is A

Thanks & Regards
Vinni
The present tense cannot serve to convey an action that has occurred OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS.
Eliminate B, C, D and E,

The correct answer is A.

Thanks a lot Mitch. . Is it also wrong because it introduces cause-effect relationship when it isn't present in the original sentence ?
Regards,
Sach

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:21 am
sachindia wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Answer is A

Thanks & Regards
Vinni
Eliminate B, C, D and E,

The correct answer is A.

Thanks a lot Mitch. . Is it also wrong because it introduces cause-effect relationship when it isn't present in the original sentence ?
Be skeptical of ANY answer choice in which an as-modifier seems to imply a causal relationship.
The GMAT does not favor this usage.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by metallicafan » Mon May 13, 2013 9:00 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
sachindia wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Answer is A

Thanks & Regards
Vinni
Eliminate B, C, D and E,

The correct answer is A.

Be skeptical of ANY answer choice in which an as-modifier seems to imply a causal relationship.
The GMAT does not favor this usage.
I think that "AS" is not introducing a cause-effect relationship; here AS means "while" or "during".
That would be distorting the original meaning, right?