Policymakers

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Policymakers

by zaarathelab » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:48 am
Policy makers remain concerned about the prospect of inflation, although there are few signs of increasing energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so far.

A) remain concerned about the prospect of inflation, although there are few signs of increasing energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so far

B)still remain concerned about the prospects of inflation; there are as yet few signs that increasing energy prices are currently driving up the cost of other goods

C)remain concerned about the prospect for inflation, even though as yet few signs of higher energy prices are driving up the cost of other goods so far

D) still remain concerned about inflation, even though there are currently few signs that increasing energy prices drive up the cost of other goods

E)remain concerned about the prospect of inflation, despite the lack of signs thus far that increasing energy prices are driving up the cost of other goods
Success = Max(Hardwork) + Min(Luck)

Legendary Member
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:720

by rijul007 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:38 pm
IMO A as it seems to be grammatically correct and most concise

whats the OA?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by zaarathelab » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:48 pm
OA is E
Success = Max(Hardwork) + Min(Luck)

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:54 am
i have following questions :
in option C :remain concerned about the prospect for inflation, even though as yet few signs of higher energy prices are driving up the cost of other goods so far

i do understand that meaning wise C is wrong because its not few signs that are driving up the cost of other good but increasing energy prices ;however my concern is abt the phrase even though as yet
is it possible to use "even though" and "yet" together ?

my second question : is "still" in the phrase "still remain concerned" redundant?
my logic was that "still" reinforces the fact policymakers were concerned in the past and that they r also concerned presently !!

following what i have said above i picked option D

my third question :what makes D a bad choice apart from "still remain concerned",if at all this phrase is a problem

thanks and regards

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members
GMAT Score:770

by Tommy Wallach » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:24 am
Hey All,
Policy makers remain concerned about the prospect of inflation, although there are few signs of increasing energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so far.

A) remain concerned about the prospect of inflation, although there are few signs of increasing energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so far

This one has a meaning issue. We want "so far" to modify "are" (as in, "There are few signs so far..."). But it could also be modifying "driving" ("Driving up the costs so far..."). That, to me, is the main issue, though the gerund/participle compound noun is also hideous: "few signs of increasing energy prices driving up the cost of other goods". Icky.

B)still remain concerned about the prospects of inflation; there are as yet few signs that increasing energy prices are currently driving up the cost of other goods

"still remain" is redundant. "Prospects" is the wrong meaning. "Prospect" means "the likelihood of something happening". "Prospects" means "chances or opportunities for success". "Currently" is unnecessary.

C)remain concerned about the prospect for inflation, even though as yet few signs of higher energy prices are driving up the cost of other goods so far

"prospect for" is an incorrect idiom. "as yet" and "so far" are redundant. The whole second clause is total mad gibberish. Aditya, for your own sake, I'm not giving you more than this. It's just total gibberish. It's silly to try and parse it, what with the wrong subject/verb and everything else. I think you probably could use even though and yet together, but trying to memorize the panoply of tiny strange options like that is a waste of mental resources, if you know what I mean.

D) still remain concerned about inflation, even though there are currently few signs that increasing energy prices drive up the cost of other goods

"still remain" is redundant. "Currently" doesn't add anything.

E)remain concerned about the prospect of inflation, despite the lack of signs thus far that increasing energy prices are driving up the cost of other goods

Correct.
Hope that helps!

-t
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!