Can anybody help me with this question?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Can anybody help me with this question?

by sahilchahal » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:11 pm
1. 'Even as Kwon Ho was celebrating his selection, who has learnt the basics under the tutelage of coach Roland Roe the dampener came' that the Swimming Federation of North Korea was not willing to bear the expenditure of $1,250 needed to take part in the FINA World swimming championship.

a)Even as Kwon Ho was celebrating his selection, who has learnt the basics under the tutelage of coach Roland Roe, the dampener came

b)While Kwon Ho, who has learnt the basics of swimming under the tutelage of coach Roland Roe, was celebrating his selection, it dampened

c)Though Kwon Ho, who learnt the basics of Swimming under the tutelage of coach Roland Roe, was celebrating his selection, came the dampener

d)Even as Kwon Ho, who learnt the basics of swimming under the tutelage of coach Roland Roe, was celebrating his selection, came the dampener

e)As Kwon Ho, who learnt the basics of swimming under the tutelage of coach Roland Roe was celebrating his selection, he was dampened

Can anybody help me understanding this question?
I dint get it.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members
GMAT Score:770

by Tommy Wallach » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:59 pm
Hey Sahil,

That's the worst question I've ever read. Ignore it. But just for fun:

(A) "who" is modifying selection, which is wrong.
(B) "it dampened" is a pronoun error. What did the dampening?
(C) "came the dampener" is gibberish, also there's no second half to the the "though" clause. The word "though" creates conflict: "Though I'm tired, I won't go to sleep"
(D) "came the dampener" is gibberish.
(E) Needs a comma after "Roe". A person can't be dampened.

None of these answer choices seem to understand how the word "dampened" is used. It's transitive, not intransitive. You don't just say "I was dampened." You have to say: "The failure of the team to win any awards dampened everyone's spirits."

Ignore every single question from this source!

-t
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sahilchahal » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:49 pm
Tommy Wallach wrote:Hey Sahil,

That's the worst question I've ever read. Ignore it. But just for fun:

(A) "who" is modifying selection, which is wrong.
(B) "it dampened" is a pronoun error. What did the dampening?
(C) "came the dampener" is gibberish, also there's no second half to the the "though" clause. The word "though" creates conflict: "Though I'm tired, I won't go to sleep"
(D) "came the dampener" is gibberish.
(E) Needs a comma after "Roe". A person can't be dampened.

None of these answer choices seem to understand how the word "dampened" is used. It's transitive, not intransitive. You don't just say "I was dampened." You have to say: "The failure of the team to win any awards dampened everyone's spirits."

Ignore every single question from this source!

-t
thanks tommy.