Counting & Combnatorics

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Counting & Combnatorics

by DBushkalov » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:04 pm
hi fellows,

I decided to quickly check how good a idea I have about the impotance of Counting on the GMAT.

Firstly, I saw that there are only a total of 7 questions in the 60 days course dedicate tothis topic. Thus, I concluded that the signifcance of Combinatorics is actually not that great on the exam. Furthermore, there were some tricky questions discused in the MGMAT Strategy Guide Nr. 5, about advancedcmbnatorics, (such as two people refusing to sit next to each other, or a very sophisticated quuesion about finding the route from 1 point to another). Suc questions were nowhere to see i the OG-13, nor in the GMAT QUANT. REVIEW 2nd edition. Because i want to be as good prepared on each topic as possible could someone please give me a hint where I could do additional Combinatorics? If combinatorics by itself is an important part of the exam of course.

Thank you once again and... on to Probailities:)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:11 pm
I'll go out on a limb and say that you will not see many (0, 1, or possibly 2 in rare instances) counting questions on test day. The same applies to probability questions.

Ironically, there are A LOT of counting and probability questions posted in these forums.

If you're looking for additional practice questions, you can use BTG's tagging feature to isolate one concept.
For example, here are all of the questions tagged as counting questions: https://www.beatthegmat.com/forums/tags/ ... mbinations
See the left side of that linked page for more tagging options.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com