beat this probability Qs

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:640

beat this probability Qs

by sachindia » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:02 am
A basket contains 3 white and 5 blue balls. Mary will extract one ball at random and keep it. If, after that, John will extract one ball at random, what is the probability that John will extract a blue ball?
1/3
3/8
1/2
5/8
11/16

Source : Gmat Club Tests
Regards,
Sach

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Zarrolou » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:16 am
We have 2 possibilities:
1-Mary picks a Withe ball and then John picks a Blue ball
3/8 * 5/7 = 15/56
2-Mary picks a Blue ball and then John picks a Blue ball
5/8 * 4/7 = 20/56

so (15+20)/56= 35/56 ==> 5/8 is the answer!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:42 am
sachindia wrote:A basket contains 3 white and 5 blue balls. Mary will extract one ball at random and keep it. If, after that, John will extract one ball at random, what is the probability that John will extract a blue ball?
1/3
3/8
1/2
5/8
11/16
No math is needed here if we understand the following concept:
The probability of selecting X on the NTH pick is equal to the probability of selecting X on the FIRST pick.
Thus, P(blue on the 2nd pick) = P(blue on the first pick) = 5/8.

The correct answer is D.

The answer would be the same even if the problem were as follows:
A basket contains 3 white and 5 blue balls. Mary will extract TWO BALLS at random and keep them. If, after that, John will extract one ball at random, what is the probability that John will extract a blue ball?
P(blue on the 3rd pick) = P(blue on the 1st pick) = 5/8.

Other problems that test the same concept:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/probablity-ques-t60161.html
https://www.beatthegmat.com/manhattan-pr ... 89481.html (2 posts)
https://www.beatthegmat.com/a-box-contai ... 51368.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ankit.sh » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:33 am
These are two mutually exclusive events and occurrence of one is not dependent on occurrence of the other as the ball is placed back into bag after first pick up.
Since Mary placed the ball back again so when John will be picking up the ball he will have same number of balls in bag to choose from as there were initially i.e 5 blue and 3 white.

Hence probability of John picking up blue ball will be 5/8.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:640

by sachindia » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:55 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
sachindia wrote:A basket contains 3 white and 5 blue balls. Mary will extract one ball at random and keep it. If, after that, John will extract one ball at random, what is the probability that John will extract a blue ball?
1/3
3/8
1/2
5/8
11/16
The probability of selecting X on the NTH pick is equal to the probability of selecting X on the FIRST pick.

The correct answer is D.

A basket contains 3 white and 5 blue balls. Mary will extract TWO BALLS at random and keep them. If, after that, John will extract one ball at random, what is the probability that John will extract a blue ball?

hey , thanks a lot mitch for this. Does this work for problems with and without replacement?
Regards,
Sach

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:50 am
sachindia wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
1/3
3/8
1/2
5/8
11/16

The correct answer is D.

hey , thanks a lot mitch for this. Does this work for problems with and without replacement?
Yes.
If a bag contains 4 blue marbles and 5 white marbles, and 3 marbles are selected at random -- WITH OR WITHOUT REPLACEMENT -- the probability that the THIRD marble selected is blue is equal to the probability that the FIRST marble selected is blue: 4/9.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:29 am
1/3
3/8
1/2
5/8
11/16
This question reminds me of my childhood, when my friends and I would sometimes "draw straws" to randomly select one person to do something (often either work, like getting wood for the fire, or dumb, like eating something that shouldn't be eaten).

So, someone would hold up n pieces of grass (for n guys), and one of those pieces was very short. The person who selected the shortest piece was the one who had to perform the task.

There was always one guy who wanted to choose his piece last. His reasoning was that his chances of drawing the shortest piece were minimized since every person before him had a chance of drawing the short piece before it got to his turn.

The truth of the matter is that each of the n guys had a 1/n chance of selecting the shortest piece, regardless of the order in which they selected.

The same applies to the original question here. 5 of the 8 balls are blue, so P(John selects a blue ball) = 5/8

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by Sci45 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:43 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
1/3
3/8
1/2
5/8
11/16

The correct answer is D.

This is interesting. Where does this concept come from? I've not seen it used anywhere else. Thanks.

by Sci45 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:13 pm
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:
1/3
3/8
1/2
5/8
11/16
This question reminds me of my childhood, when my friends and I would sometimes "draw straws" to randomly select one person to do something (often either work, like getting wood for the fire, or dumb, like eating something that shouldn't be eaten).

So, someone would hold up n pieces of grass (for n guys), and one of those pieces was very short. The person who selected the shortest piece was the one who had to perform the task.

There was always one guy who wanted to choose his piece last. His reasoning was that his chances of drawing the shortest piece were minimized since every person before him had a chance of drawing the short piece before it got to his turn.

The truth of the matter is that each of the n guys had a 1/n chance of selecting the shortest piece, regardless of the order in which they selected.

The same applies to the original question here. 5 of the 8 balls are blue, so P(John selects a blue ball) = 5/8

Cheers,
Brent
But Mary keeps the ball...How is it the same if she didn't keep it? Thank you.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:56 pm
1/3
3/8
1/2
5/8
11/16
Let's solve this question a different way.

P(John gets blue ball) = P(Mary gets white ball and John gets blue ball OR Mary gets blue ball and John gets blue ball
= P(Mary gets white ball and John gets blue ball) + P(Mary gets blue ball and John gets blue ball)
= (3/8 x 5/7) + (5/8 x 4/7)
= 15/56 + 20/56
= 35/56
= 5/8

Answer: still D :-)
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:51 pm
In an ordinary deck of cards, 1/4 of the cards are hearts. If a magician spreads out a deck of cards on a table, and asks you to pick one, and you pick the second card from the top, I think everyone would agree the probability that card is a heart is 1/4.

If instead, the magician picks the top card off the deck and keeps it for herself, then asks you to pick the second card from the deck, you're picking exactly the same card as in the situation above. The probability it is a heart must be the same as before - it must be 1/4.

That's the principle Mitch is using above. The probability the top card in a deck is a heart is the same as the probability the second card, or the eleventh card, or the 41st card is a heart. It doesn't matter if you reach into the deck and take a card from the middle, or if someone removes the earlier cards one-by-one before you pick your card.

The key here is that you have no information about the cards that have been removed, so they neither make it more nor less likely that subsequent cards are hearts. If you knew something about the removed cards ,then that would change everything - then you'd be able to use that knowledge to adjust the probabilities for subsequent card selections. But in the question in the OP, you know nothing about Mary's selection, so the probability John picks a blue marble is still 5/8.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:53 pm
Another way to demonstrate this:

Suppose that there are x marbles that I want in a jar that contains y marbles in all. My friend gets to pick and keep a marble first, then it's my turn.

If my friend gets one of the nice marbles, then my chance of getting one on my pick is (x - 1)/(y - 1).

If my friend gets one of the crummy marbles, then my chance getting a nice on on my pick is x/(y - 1).

My friend's chance of getting a nice marble is x/y, and my friend's chance of getting a crummy marble is (y - x)/y, so my chance of getting a nice marble is

(x/y)*(x-1)/(y-1) + (y - x)/y * x/(y - 1) => x/y

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:08 pm
As a fun aside, this problem is a nice primer on the perils of insider trading. Let's say that I'm a bookmaker and decide to take bets on this marble drawing. Prior to Mary's draw, John is 62.5% to draw blue, so the fair odds on that are 3 to 5: if you want to bet that John will draw blue, I'll wager 60¢ against every $1 that you're willing to risk.

After Mary's draw, however, *someone* -- Mary, at least (unless she doesn't look at the marble), and anyone she signals -- knows that the true odds have changed. If Mary drew white, then John's chances of blue are HIGHER, and if Mary drew blue, then John's chances of blue are lower. In either case, Mary now has better information than I do, and can outfox me in the betting! From John's perspective, or from any unknowing observer's, the best guess of his chances is still 62.5%, but anyone taking bets at this price can be defeated.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

Re: beat this probability Qs

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:48 am
sachindia wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:02 am
A basket contains 3 white and 5 blue balls. Mary will extract one ball at random and keep it. If, after that, John will extract one ball at random, what is the probability that John will extract a blue ball?
1/3
3/8
1/2
5/8
11/16

Source : Gmat Club Tests

The probability that John will extract a blue ball is the probability that he will extract it after Mary extracts a blue ball plus the probability that he will extract it after Mary extracts a white ball. That is,

P(Mary extracts a blue ball followed by John a blue ball) + P(Mary extracts a white ball followed by John a blue ball)

5/8 * 4/7 + 3/8 * 5/7

20/56 + 15/56

35/56

5/8

Answer: D

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage