My first mock test - what should I do now?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members

My first mock test - what should I do now?

by Davide » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:04 pm
I just completed my first MGMAT mock test, getting a final score of 640 (Q44-V34), guessing the last 5 Verbal questions (all of which turned out to be wrong). I started my preparation a couple of months ago, using both OG12 and Manhattan guides. My goal would be a 700+ score, maybe somewhere between 720 and 740. Now, I haven't scheduled the test yet, but I might decide to sit for the GMAT on March, 22th: therefore, I am wondering whether 1 additional month would be enough to get the score I want. Otherwise, I can put off the date, but I'm quite sure that for two weeks (March 24th to April 7th) I won't be able to put a lot of effort into this, so right now I don't know what to do, whether to take the test on March or to wait some more time (I plan to submit my applications next fall, so I guess I have enough time).
What is more, I'm not sure about the study plan for the upcoming month(s), should I focus more on mock tests, or would it be better to go through the guides again?

Thanks in advance!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:56 am
First of all, you need to debrief your last few tests really carefully and try to select which question types you find the most challenging. The next step will of course be thorough revision of these topics. Also pay attention to your timing - maybe some question types are solved correctly but take you too long and steal precious time from the last questions?
Going through theory is a good idea because if you started preparing a few months ago, chances are you might have forgotten some of these lessons. If I were you I would take my time and not hurry but work systematically at a stable pace. You need to think how many hours a week you want to spend studying and organize your prep accordingly.
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

by Davide » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:02 am
To start with, thanks for your reply, Kasia! I already analyzed the results from my first mock test, and I think I have a good idea of some of my strengths and weaknesses right now. I also started revising some areas according to the assessment report.
The thing is that until the end of March I can devote a lot of time to the GMAT, which means that I can study 20, 30 or even 40 hours per week quite easily. Nevertheless, I don't know whether this is enough to achieve my goal, or not (which means that I should put off the test day). I am also wondering whether I should take 1-2 mock tests per week (basically MGMAT and GMATprep) to get more data and build stamina, or simply focus on the theory instead. Finally, my last question is still the same: I took my first simulation, I got 640...is an 80-point score improvement realistic in, let's say, a month?

This is my assessment report, according to which it seems to me that I have to improve in word problems and FDPs, plus modifiers and CR...even though I guess it would be better to evaluate my weak areas on the basis of 2 or 3 tests at least.

Thanks for your help!

GMAT Instructor

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:30 am
It is not a good idea to assess your performance based on only one test. What you could try is the following routine:
1. revise all your weak subjects
2. take a sim test
3. debrief the test and compare your weaknesses with the previous test
4. take a few days (3-5) to revise again and practice similar questions with the Official Guide
5. take another prep test

You can repeat this routine until your score gets closer to what you desire to achieve.
Studying 40 hours a week will be too exhausting I think. I'd rather propose something closer to 5-6 hours a day maximum with breaks of course. Also you should learn a variety of topics every day (not for example only the verbal section on one day and then quant subjects on another).
Take notes if you feel that you don't understand some detail and try to get back to it later.
In general what can help you maximize your score is attention to detail - the more you focus on the quality of your answers, the faster you will approach your target score.
As to the improvement of 80 points in a month, I think it is realistic provided you work systematically and focus on relevant issues.
Kasia
Senior Instructor

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:30 pm
All good questions... I'll disagree w/ Kasia slightly... even 5-6 hours per day winds up being 35-42 hours per week. You'll fry your brain at that rate.

You need a targeted study plan to get you over the hump (700+). Focus on the areas that are giving you difficulty. And, candidly, you should be considering when you will be in the 'best place' to take the exam. If you are nervous about 'forgetting' content if your study time drops, well, then, the obvious choice is to take the test before your study time drops off.

A few links to articles that may help you a bit.

https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... ice-tests/
https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... an-part-1/
https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... ew-part-2/

Lastly -- I'm sure you'd agree, but the last thing you want to do is run out of time... especially on verbal. You need to work on your time management a bit.

Hope this helps.

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

by Davide » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:33 pm
Hi again,

I completed 2 more MGMAT tests, whose assessment reports are attached (both for each test and for the 3 of them together). Honestly, I am both confused and disheartened: to start with, my overall score is not improving, which is bad; then, my quant score shrank on my last two attempts, while verbal improved. My plan was to take the exam on march, 22, but as long as my goal is 700+ maybe I should change my plan. Finally, I don't know whether I should focus on reviewing questions from my these two mock tests, or on new problems/new tests. BTW, I took the last two simulations in "real" conditions (AWA/IR/Q/V). In a nutshell, I really need some guidance here...
Attachments
MGMAT_1.png
First MGMAT test - assessment report
MGMAT_2.png
Second MGMAT test - assessment report
MGMAT_3.png
Third MGMAT test - assessment report

by Davide » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:35 pm
And this is the assessment report including all the questions from the 3 MGMAT tests I took in the last week (1st on Feb, 24-2nd on Mar, 02-3rd on Mar, 03)...
Attachments
MGMAT_Overall.jpg
Global assessment report

by Davide » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:12 am
Nobody?

GMAT Instructor

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:29 am
I think you should analyze mistakes from all the tests that are not older than one month. Each test could be presenting questions testing different subjects so all your mistakes are worth considering. Also try to see which question types do you answer incorrectly/ exceed time limit most often and focus on them in the first place.
Kasia
Senior Instructor

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:40 pm
Davide wrote:Nobody?
I'll break my advice here into a few big buckets:

1. Focus on the two most recent exams;
2. Repost the score assessments (using both exams together) and figure out how to format so we can see the average level of difficulty of the ones you've gotten right and wrong...
3. Go back and understand each and every question on those two exams until you feel comfortable enough with them that you could explain them to another student.

Here's the deal -- if you are looking to get into that 700+ echelon -- it's not just enough to get the questions right... you have to 'get' the questions in a deeper way.

Here's one more article that may help you a bit.

https://www.manhattangmat.com/articles/7 ... erence.cfm

Hope this helps.

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)