Referred to Faculty of Graduate and Post Doctorial Studies

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi All

I'm looking for some advice/kind words on a stage of the application process that seems to be little documented.

Last week I received a call from the MBA program director at the school I've applied (Canadian), to conduct a telephone interview. All went well and at the end of the call he told me that they would love to have me on the program and gave his congratulations etc. However, since my GPA is way below the admission criteria my file would have to be approved by the Faculty of Graduate and Post Doctorial Studies. This extra hurdle is purely because they would be making an exception to the rules in admitting me.

I knew that this would happen if I ever got this far, but I didn't dare think about it since I didn't want to jinx the process. So, I'm wondering now if this is either going to be a rubber stamping exercise or if the review will be much more involved? The admissions director implied that they have a high success rate with these reviews but it's a complete black box to me at the moment since I appear to have transcended/diverged from the usual admissions route!

Any encouragement or advice would be much appreciated! BTW for all of those with a low GPA, I'm told mine works out at 1.30 (it's a third in the UK system) and the school is triple accredited. So there is hope!

Thanks