GRE vs GMAT?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GRE vs GMAT?

by jjack0310 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:25 pm
Hello,

I will first start off with my profile.

I have:

BS - Mechanical Engineering and
BS - Aerospace Engineering from University of Florida GPA 3.26

I wanted to go for Grad school and thus I took the GRE (Q: 780 and Verbal: 570 - Total 1350)
I started Masters in Aerospace Engineering but now I think I want to go for MBA. I am currently working full time as well for a huge engineering company.

I looked at https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/ ... WT.ac=rx42

Most of the schools that I was thinking of applying once I get 2-3 years of experience accept GRE scores. I think my GRE score is quite good.

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on whether schools like Kellogg's, Tepper, Haas, Ross.. prefer GMAT over GRE? And more importantly, is my GRE score even enough for these schools?

I dont mind taking the GMAT, but if the schools dont care about one of the other test, then I dont see the point of taking GMAT when I have done well on GRE>

Thank you for the help.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members
GMAT Score:770

by Tommy Wallach » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:03 pm
Hey Jjack,

A 1350 GRE score wouldn't be competitive at Top level B-Schools). I don't know the profile of every single on on your list. The average GMAT there is about a 700, and you're averaging more like a 660. Beyond that, the quant section on the GRE is quite easy, so they'll expect that score to be quite high. Which means they'll be looking at that 570, which isn't super great.

Basically, the GRE is much easier than the GMAT, so you have to take the score with a grain of salt. Right now, your score is the equivalent of a 670, but on a much easier test. No one can speak for how the admissions departments look at the GRE versus the GMAT, but take a look at your percentile score for the best idea. OR, if you want to be super sure, call up the admissions departments and ask them what kind of score they'd like to see on the GRE, or if they'd prefer the GMAT. I could be totally wrong; the only way to know for sure is to ask them.

Good luck!

-t
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!

by jjack0310 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:22 pm
My quant score is 780/800 not 570
570 was my verbal score.

The quant score was in 91 percentile and the verbal was 80 percentile

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members
GMAT Score:770

by Tommy Wallach » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:35 pm
It's definitely a good score; the only question is whether it's on track for the schools you want to apply to. I don't know enough about their averages, etc to say. GMAT benchmarks are well documented, but the GRE benchmarks are more mysterious...

-t
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!

by jjack0310 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:38 pm
Right. Will try to find out.

Worst case, I have to take the GMAT, which is OK.

Thank you