Modifier

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Modifier

by manu.pant » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:17 pm
Although just inside the orbit of jubiter, amateur astronomers with good telescopes should be able to see the comet within next few weeks.

a.
b. Although it is just inside the orbit of
c. Just inside the orbit of
d. Orbiting just inside
e. Having orbited just inside

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members

by patanjali.purpose » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:33 am
manu.pant wrote:Although just inside the orbit of jubiter, amateur astronomers with good telescopes should be able to see the comet within next few weeks.

a.
d. Orbiting just inside
A/C/D/E - it appears ASTRONOMERS are inside the orbit of Jupiter, when the fact is COMET is inside the orbit.

B

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:50 am
manu.pant wrote:Although just inside the orbit of Jupiter, amateur astronomers with good telescopes should be able to see the comet within the next few weeks.

a.
d. Orbiting just inside
In every answer choice but B, the introductory modifier seems to refer to astronomers, conveying a nonsensical meaning: that the ASTRONOMERS are just inside the orbit of Jupiter or just inside Jupiter.
Eliminate A, C, D and E.

In the OA, the only eligible referent for it (singular) is the comet, making it clear that the COMET is just inside the orbit of Jupiter.
But we should be wary of the structure here.
The introductory modifier includes a pronoun without an antecedent (it); the referent (comet) appears near the END of the sentence.
On the GMAT, when an introductory modifier includes a pronoun without an antecedent, the referent invariably is the SUBJECT OF THE FOLLOWING CLAUSE.
Consider the following examples in the OG12:

Q7: As ITS sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring instruments, THE COMPANY...
Q28: Building on civilizations that preceded THEM in coastal Peru, THE MOHICA...
Q31: Even though many of HER colleagues were convinced that genes were relatively simple and static, BARBARA MCCLINTOCK...
Q105: In HER book illustrations, which SHE carefully
coordinated with HER narratives, BEATRIX POTTER...

In each case, the introductory modifier includes a pronoun without an antecedent.
In each case, the referent is the subject of the following clause.

Thus, while B is the only viable answer choice here, we should be skeptical of this sort of answer choice when taking the GMAT.
Generally, when an introductory modifier includes a pronoun without an antecedent, the referent should be the FIRST NOUN AFTER THE COMMA.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:58 am
good day guru
i have a question : what if this question had "amateur astronauts" instead "amateur astronomers". will option C be good in that case .after all amateur astronauts can be inside the orbit of Jupiter .they can be inside their space shuttle which might be orbiting inside the orbit of Jupiter
thanks and regards
aditya

Legendary Member
Followed by:20 members

by sana.noor » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:31 am
for me its B
Work hard in Silence, Let Success make the noise.

If you found my Post really helpful, then don't forget to click the Thank/follow me button. :)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gmat4fun » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:15 am
aditya8062 wrote:good day guru
i have a question : what if this question had "amateur astronauts" instead "amateur astronomers". will option C be good in that case .after all amateur astronauts can be inside the orbit of Jupiter .they can be inside their space shuttle which might be orbiting inside the orbit of Jupiter
thanks and regards
aditya

Hey Aditya,

Even if we replace astronomers with astronauts , the meaning issue will not be resolved. Normally, astronauts do not watch the comets, sitting in the orbit. Do they?

HTH!

gmat4fun

Legendary Member

by sana.noor » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:38 am
this question is similar to the one mentioned in this post.

Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of them is necessary only in the South.

(A) the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of them is
(B) widely distributed, measures to control the lesser cornstalk borer are
(C) widely distributed, lesser cornstalk borer control is
(D) the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, measures to control it are
(E) it is widely distributed, control of the lesser cornstalk borer is

My question is why E is the wrong answer. OA is D
Last edited by sana.noor on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

If you found my Post really helpful, then don't forget to click the Thank/follow me button. :)

Legendary Member

by aditya8062 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:35 am
"it" is ambiguous in E !! what is "it" referring to ? is it "control" or " lesser cornstalk borer"
whats the source?

Legendary Member

by sana.noor » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:52 am
I got this from Gmat club but googl-ing help me to confirm the actual source--->"1000SC"
Although is a preposition and should be followed by Noun so B and C are out. we can eliminate A as well because "Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed" is modifying Control which is wrong. But in E, its a quite different situation. "it" is correctly refering to borer. If D is the corrent answer then "Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed" is wrongly modifying measures...:( Is the source "1000SC" is a good source.

Legendary Member

by aditya8062 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:13 am
i think there is something wrong in ur text
u said :
If D is the corrent answer then "Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed" is wrongly modifying measures
i dont think what u wrote is right ."although" is a subordinate conjunction and can very well introduce subordinate clause

also u said :
But in E, its a quite different situation. "it" is correctly refering to bore
i dont think this is oki "it" can refer to singular nouns (non living and animals i guess).now "control" is singular noun and so is " lesser cornstalk borer" so that's the problem

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:30 am
sana.noor wrote:this question is similar to the one mentioned in this post.

Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of them is necessary only in the South.

(A) the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of them is
(B) widely distributed, measures to control the lesser cornstalk borer are
(C) widely distributed, lesser cornstalk borer control is
(D) the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, measures to control it are
(E) it is widely distributed, control of the lesser cornstalk borer is

My question is why E is the wrong answer. OA is D
In A, them (plural) does not agree with borer (singular). Eliminate A.

In B, widely distributed seems to modify measures, implying that MEASURES are widely distributed.
The intended meaning is that the BORER is widely distributed.
Eliminate B.

In C, widely distributed seems to modify control, implying that borer CONTROL is widely distributed.
The intended meaning is that the BORER ITSELF is widely distributed.
Eliminate C.

When an introductory modifier includes a pronoun without an antecedent, the referent should be the SUBJECT right after the comma.
In E, it (the pronoun in the introductory modifier) seems to refer to control (the subject right after the comma), implying that CONTROL is widely distributed.
The intended meaning is that the BORER ITSELF is widely distributed.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.

D: Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, measures to control it are necessary only in the South.
Here, the introductory modifier contains both a subject (borer) and a verb (is distributed), so it's crystal clear that the BORER IS DISTRIBUTED.
The only eligible antecedent for it (singular) is borer (also singular), so it's crystal clear that measures to control THE BORER are necessary only in the South.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3