Archaeologists in Michigan have excavated a Native American

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members
Archaeologists in Michigan have excavated a Native American camp near Dumaw Creek. Radiocarbon dating of animal bones found at the site indicates that the camp dates from some time between 1605 and 1755. However, the camp probably dates to no later than 1630, since no European trade goods were found at the site, and European traders were active in the region from the 1620's onward.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

(A) Due to trade among Native Americans, some European trade goods would have reached the area before the European traders themselves did.

(B) At all camps in the region that have been reliably dated to the late 1620's, remains of European trade goods have been found.

(C) The first European trade goods to reach the area would have been considered especially valuable and preserved as much as possible from loss or destruction.

(D) The first European traders in the area followed soon after the first European explorers.

(E) The site is that of a temporary camp that would have been used seasonally for a few years and then abandoned.
following is my doubt :
i somewhere feel that my comprehension of B is confusing me !!
B says :At all camps in the region that have been reliably dated to the late 1620's, remains of European trade goods have been found.

now what is disturbing me is the phrase dated to the late 1620's
what does it mean ? to me it means the following dates :1625 ;1626;1627;1628 and 1629
though i feel that if that is what that phrase in B meant then its getting somewhat difficult to appreciate B as an answer
however if that phrase in B meant all the years later of 1620 till, lets say, 1755 then i can understand how B is the answer
i strongly feel that the language of B should have been as follows :
At all camps in the region that have been reliably dated 1620 onwards , remains of European trade goods have been found.
if i am not able to put across my doubt to u then plz read the following
to me the following sentence : i was in Vegas in late 1990's means that i was in Vegas somewhere in 1995 to 1999 not 1990 onwards !!
similarly in option B : the phrase "late 1620 " means from 1625 to 1629
i feel that this phrase sud have been later of 1620 or 1620 onwards

PS : i am not questioning the OA .plz correct me if my comprehension of that phrase (late 1620's ) is faulty .
pls help me understand
thanks and regards
aditya

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members
GMAT Score:770

by Tommy Wallach » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:33 pm
Hey Aditya,

It's not your understanding of the phrase that's wrong, but your understanding of how it affects the argument.

Conclusion: Camp is from 1630 at the latest.
Evidence: Must be 1605 to 1755, but it doesn't have stuff from the 1620s in it.

That's the argument as it starts. The camp is missing stuff from the 1620s. That means it couldn't be from the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, etc., because it's missing the stuff from the 20s.

But there's a problem (it's an assumption based question, of course). We don't have any evidence yet that most camps from after 1630 have 1620s stuff in them.

Answer choice (B) says that anything that is dated to the late 1620s has that stuff. Remember, that inherently means that anything that comes after the 1620s also has it. Now, I realize this is a bit of a leap ("What if it was just the late 1620s, then it stopped?"), but it's not too much of a leap. After all, we've already been told that European traders were active in the region from the 1620s onward. ALSO, the argument told us it couldn't have come any later than 1755 (so things could have changed at 1755). So this strengthens the idea that it came pre 1630. It doesn't have any of the stuff that post 1630 camps have, and we know it couldn't have been, like, a 1955 camp, because of the animal bones.

I agree it's not perfect, but it still beats out everything else!

-t
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:30 pm
thanks sir for ur prompt reply
u said i quote :
I realize this is a bit of a leap ("What if it was just the late 1620s, then it stopped?"), but it's not too much of a leap. After all, we've already been told that European traders were active in the region from the 1620s onward
honestly it was this leap that kept me puzzled and i thought that may be my comprehension is wrong.but even if we are told that European traders were active in the region from the 1620s onward how does it proves that B's implied meaning is that goods were also found even after 1630 in all the sites that were reliably dated ,after all the reliably dating that B suggest is only for the date 1625 to 1629 .
thanks and regards
aditya

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Tommy Wallach » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:45 pm
Hey Aditya,

All I can say is that it's the best answer out there. If it's an official question, you just have to accept it. If it's not, you could argue that it isn't super well written, but there's no better case that I can make. We have some evidence that after the 1620s, camps should have a certain thing in them. This supports the idea that the camps came from before that time. It could also support that they came WAY later (when perhaps that stuff was NO LONGER in camps), but that doesn't make it any less supportive of the primary conclusion.

Hope that helps!

-t
ManhattanGMAT

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by bestofbala » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:04 pm
Is this an official Question?

I too contend about the OA - B. Though, on first glance, i struck C out, I finally concluded C must be answer and here's why:

Stem:
Camp must be from 1605 - 1755; camp does not have goods from 1920s; European trades are active from 1920s
Conclusion: So, camp must be before 1930s.

Stem analysis: What if such trade goods were destroyed or perishable? At the beginning, the trade could have included goods that are of above mentioned nature? Then, the entire conclusion will go for
a toss. So, the conclusion must have assumed that such trades had not happened. => We see goods from 1920's and only from 1920's only trades must have occurred. (that forms the whole basis of conclusion)

(A) Due to trade among Native Americans, some European trade goods would have reached the area before the European traders themselves did.

(B) At all camps in the region that have been reliably dated to the late 1620's, remains of European trade goods have been found.
european goods found to be used in late 1620's. Stem concludes, camp must be from < 1630. If this were the assumption, the stem must have concluded comfortably "camps were before late 1920's...

(C) The first European trade goods to reach the area would have been considered especially valuable and preserved as much as possible from loss or destruction.
Seems to agree with the analysis.

(D) The first European traders in the area followed soon after the first European explorers.
The stem does not talk about european explorers
(E) The site is that of a temporary camp that would have been used seasonally for a few years and then abandoned.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:11 am
I will write my idea. pls , comment on my following.

this passage is typical of one kind of cr questions in og. In this kind of question, 2 event are presented and the conclusion is that 2 events are relevant. The 2 events here are: the camp has not european goods and the european trade began in 1960s. The conclusion here is that the camp dates 1920s/1930.

this type of argument is popular in og books. this type of argument appears at the end of og books. the question for this type is strengthening. I do not see weakening question for this type.

My approch:
after understand the argument , my goal is looking for information which increase the bond between 2 events.
going to answer choices, I see B match.

if we approach as I do above, this type of questions becomes easy.

here I have problem, and want you, experts comment.

there is another approach.
because this is a strengthening question, some experts advise us to prethink an assumption and look for information in answer choices which increase the belief in that assumption.

but I can not prethink assumption. I can not follow this approach.
what is the assumption here, and what is the information which strengthen that assumption.

the point I want you to discuss is that if we follow the my approach, this question become simple. if we follow the approach of prethinking assumption, we are stuck at prethinking an assumption.

HOW do we solve this situation? pls comment. thank you.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Tommy Wallach » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:21 am
Hey Duong,

There are not two options for solving. On all strengthen/weaken questions, you begin by writing down the conclusion and the premises. Then you look for the gap between them. This is not prediction, by the way. This is simply noticing what's wrong with the argument (and something is always wrong, on all assumption-based questions). Then you look for something that addresses that gap.

Also, I have no idea what you mean "I do not see weakening question for this type." All assumption based questions are the same prompts (Assumption, Strengthen, Weaken, Evaluation the Conclusion), so the question they choose to ask could really be any of the four.
ManhattanGMAT