CFA + Alternative Transcript

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

CFA + Alternative Transcript

by thepoet » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:25 am
I know the importance of building an Alternative Transcript to mitigate a Low Undergraduate GPA. I wanted to know for someone who is pursuing a CFA (Level 2 Candidate currently in June 2013), whether it makes sense to take Stats/Econ/Finance courses to display your strength in Quantitative Subjects, if you're already pursuing such a Quant heavy designation.

Furthermore, in Undergrad, I received A's in all of my Stats coures, an A in the only Finance course I took. My major was Economics, which has mostly A's with a couple B's and one D. Would you suggest taking Economics courses related to the ones I performed poorly in? I want to be smart about which courses I take because it is quite expensive and time consuming. My Undergrad GPA was a 2.97, so it's just a bit shy of a 3.0 and some serious mitigating circumstances. I'm willing to work hard to show that I have the capacity to perform well, but would like help in course selection.

I would really appreciate your help.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:28 members

by Heidi Granner » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:53 pm
Hi thepoet,

Thanks for your post.

The suggestions around stats/econ/finance courses are not only to verify your quantitative abilities, but also because those courses are usually more time-intensive and difficult so further show your dedication to your education.

If you have an 80+% score on the GMAT Quant section (so have "proved" your quantitative abilities) and are looking to take two courses for example, then I suggest taking one more quantitative course and one more qualitative course (e.g., marketing). For the quantitative course, I suggest either an economics course similar to one you did not receive an A in or a Finance course.

Best of luck!

Heidi