Profile Evaluation

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by marcusfenix1234 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:32 pm
My Profile:-
Did my Engineering in Comp Science from a state univ with 70% marks(which approx is 3.5gpa I guess?).
First person to graduate in my family.
Work ex - Involved in my family business(Exporters & manufacturers of textile items from India) for last 3 years, will be applying next year so work-ex will be around 4+ years. Manufacture products for companies like Urban Outfitters, Target etc.
Handle a workforce of 25-50 people, have a turnover of close to around $500k-$800k(going through a difficult period hence relatively low turnover at present).
Currently in the process of starting an e-commerce setup to diversify my textile business.
Decent Extra curriculars in college(Coordinator at college fest, won team competitions at the annual fests too). Interests in philosophy & theology, sports(mainly football) & gaming(not that active nowadays though).
Involved with an NGO for some time after graduation.
Haven't given GMAT yet but assuming I will be able to get a good score in it (720+)

I wanted to change my career path by joining a top B-School & migrating to finance field. Just wanted to know what are my chances of getting into a top B School & whether it is possible to change my field to finance even though I don't have much exp in that sector? I have completed 2 levels of CFA too, a few years back keeping in mind I wanted to change my field in the future so it might help.
My main query is whether my work-ex is valuable or not, especially from the point of view of my post-MBA aspirations of working in the finance field. If not, would my chances increase of getting into a top B-School if I change my post-MBA field to maybe operations/general management/entrepreneurship?

No preference yet in terms of location, class size etc of college since I am in very early stages of deciding whether to go for a MBA or not. Which colleges I should ideally target just taking into consideration my credentials & post-MBA goals.

Any help would be highly appreciated.