Need Guidance

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Need Guidance

by Tim7332 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:43 pm
I'm planning to take the GMAT next month and apply to joint MBA/JD programs this coming fall.

I wanted to know where I should set my sights when it comes to choosing schools to apply to.

I should score about a 720 or higher on the GMAT, but I have a weak undergrad GPA from a local private school, Chapman university where I got my bachelor's.

I also have an unimpressive resume and extracurricular activities.

Do I stand a chance at schools like Northwestern or UPenn? I made a huge error in not taking my undergraduate studies seriously, thinking I'd never attend grad schools, but I have a strong desire to attend a top school now and I know I can handle the work.

Could you give me some advice?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:55 am
Hi Tim,
Thanks for your message. To be honest, I am not sure how JD/MBA applications work - whether they focus on your GMAT, LSAT or both... and how much weight is given on each.

As you probably know, this year is going to be ultra competitive for admissions into top MBA programs. Per your evaluation, if your GPA, WE and ECs are 'unimpressive' then it will likely be difficult for you to get into a top 10 program.

Instead, I would focus on programs that have strong law schools and a good-ranked MBA program. For example, USC is a top 25 MBA program and I believe their law program is considered a tier one school. Do your research and try to identify schools that have a strong law program and top25-50 MBA program.

Regarding your GPA - make sure you address your low grades in the Optional Essay. This essay is for students to address any weaknesses/areas of concern in their application.

Good luck!

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

by Tim7332 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:46 am
I hadn't heard that it is going to be highly competitive this year. Where did you read that?

Other than USC are there any ivy league programs you think I could get into with a high GMAT and strong essays?

I have taken quite a few classes since graduating as well, and aced them all. Could this bump my GPA or are they not part of the calculation?

by VP_MBA_Guru » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:56 pm
Its widely known that last year was quite competitive and this year is going to be even more difficult (based on the worsening economy and amount of re-applicants).

If you are looking for Ivy League specifically, you could also consider Cornell - their MBA program is ranked in the top 25. I think W/H/CBS/Tuck/Yale are long shots.

Yes, taking classes post-undergrad do help, but not significantly.

Good luck!

NP

by Tim7332 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:53 pm
Would there be anything I could do to get into one of the top programs if I wait a year and apply again if I don't get into anything in the top 25?

by VP_MBA_Guru » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:28 pm
Tim, if you reapply to a school, AdCom will look to see what improvements you have made in your candidacy since applying. This can include higher GMAT scores, job accolades (promotions, bonus, responsibility), new LORs, more ECs.

NP