Virtually all health experts agree that second-hand smoke

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members
Virtually all health experts agree that second-hand smoke poses a serious health risk. After the publication of yet another research paper explicating the link between exposure to second-hand smoke and a shorter life span, some members of the State House of Representatives proposed a ban on smoking in most public places in an attempt to promote quality of life and length of lifespan.

Which of the following, if true, provides the most support for the actions of the State Representatives?

A) The amount of damaging chemicals and fumes released into the air by cigarette smoke is far less than the amount released from automobiles, especially from older models.
B) Banning smoking in most public places will not considerably reduce the percent of the population in the state in question that smokes.
C) The state whose legislators are proposing the tough smoking legislation has a relatively high percent of its population that smoke.
D) Another state that enacted a similar law a decade ago saw a statistically significant drop in lung-cancer rates among non-smokers.
E) A nearby state up-wind has the highest number of smokers in the country.

i was stuck between C and D .i eliminated D because according to me a condition that worked well in some other state might not work well in this particular state .more over i have seen in my official answers that analogical examples generally don't work as strengther .more over option D can have varied ramifications as in what if the hospital conditions in that state are much better than the state in consideration
i picked C and my logic is that C gives that window to accept that because the number of smokers are more in this city so the conditions of nonsmokers might just become better if this law is enacted
can i get some solid reasoning as why OA mentioned is D
thanks and regards

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:48 pm
What is the source of this question? You're right that the GMAT almost never has correct answers on CR that are analogies to other situations. What happened in another time or place will not necessarily be relevant to what's happening here. For that reason, I don't think this is a very good question.

That said, we're not looking for a perfect answer on CR questions, we're just looking for the least-bad. So let's break the argument down:

Premises:
- health experts agree that second-hand smoke (SHS) is a serious risk
- link between SHS and shorter life span

Conclusion:
Ban on smoking in public places will promote quality of life and length of lifespan

Logical Gaps:
- Will the ban on smoking in public places directly affect SHS exposure? Does a significant amount of SHS exposure happen in public places?
- What is the population like? If everyone is a smoker, SHS isn't relevant - first-hand smoke would be the bigger danger. If no one smokes, SHS in public places isn't much of a danger at all.
- What is the connection between SHS and quality of life?

In order to SUPPORT the argument, we need to address at least one of these logical gaps.

A. We don't care about other pollutants. This doesn't speak to the connection between the public smoking ban and SHS.

B. We don't care about reducing smokers, just reducing SHS

C. This speaks to who smokes, but not where. Maybe all of the smoking happens in the home, so we don't know if the ban will reduce SHS.

D. As I said before, other states shouldn't be relevant. But if a ban on public smoking reduced SHS, there's a chance that it could do so in this state. Weak, but it's the best we have.

E. The fact that the state is up-wind (which makes little meteorological sense) does not necessarily mean that the SHS will travel from that state to this one. Even if it did, a ban on public smoking here won't change people's behavior there.

In conclusion, this is not a great question, but D is the least terrible answer.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members
GMAT Score:770

by Tommy Wallach » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:19 pm
Hey Aditya,

I second everything Ceilidh said here, particularly that this is a bad question. To be honest, I think the case you make for (C) is pretty solid (if nobody in town smokes, it's unlikely the legislation is going to affect much of anything). And because the GMAT so seldom does what they do in (D), I also would've probably picked (C) myself. Crap question.

-t
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:56 pm
million thanks to both of u
as for the source .this question is from platinum GMAT . i do understand that i should avoid such questions but its just that at times i feel like challenging my mental faculties ,though i get disappointed when my basic learning and rules gets refuted by such questions .especially the basic tenets that i have learned from experts like you ,Ron and Stacey
tons of thanks and regards
aditya

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members
GMAT Score:770

by Tommy Wallach » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:08 pm
Hey Aditya,

Yeah. No Platinum GMAT. No super GMAT. No Mega GMAT. For the love of all that is holy: stick to GMAT Prep, OG, and any of the major american companies (Manhattan Prep, Kaplan, Veritas, etc.). You shouldn't need any other books than that. There is plenty of legitimate content out there, so I don't understand the point in going to these other companies! : )

-t
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:22 am
aditya8062 wrote:at times i feel like challenging my mental faculties ,though i get disappointed when my basic learning and rules gets refuted by such questions
You've hit the nail on the head here! Studying from sources like these is more frustrating than it is helpful, because you'll undo the good learning you've done elsewhere. The "any practice is good practice" idea definitely isn't true on the GMAT - these do more harm than good.

Good luck!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education