Background Checks

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

Background Checks

by Soumita Ghosh » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:27 am
That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some importance to investment banks which is why a stringent background check is a necessary prerequisite for all of their job applicants.

A)That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some importance to investment banks which is why a stringent background check is a necessary prerequisite for all of their job applicants

B)Clean criminal records of their employees is important to investment banks; hence, a stringent background check are necessary prerequisites for employment

C)Because they consider it important that all of their employees have a clean criminal record, investment banks require each job applicant to undergo a stringent background check

D)It is of some importance that all investment banks' workers have clean criminal records which is why many of them undergo stringent background checks

E)The reason that investment banks require background checks of their applicants is because they require clean criminal records of their employees

OA C

I found C incorrect as they is ambiguous. They can indicate employees as well as investment banks. So it is not clear in the phrase for what they is used.

Legendary Member
Followed by:32 members
GMAT Score:760

by avik.ch » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:51 am
first eliminate A,D and E, because of awful construction.

In formal written English, we generally do not write "is because" or "which is why". Moreover "which" has limited applicability in GMAT --- for non essential relative clause and object of a preposition.

Eliminate B -- S-V error.

Left with C.
I found C incorrect as they is ambiguous. They can indicate employees as well as investment banks. So it is not clear in the phrase for what they is used.
pronoun ambiguity is not an absolute rule for eliminating an answer choice, atleast when there are other glaring errors in other answer choice.

Hope this helps !!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members
GMAT Score:770

by Tommy Wallach » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:40 pm
Hey All,

Let's give this one a go. Avik, never tell people to cross off answer choices just for bad construction (and don't do it yourself!). You can always use grammar!:
That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some importance to investment banks which is why a stringent background check is a necessary prerequisite for all of their job applicants.

A)That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some importance to investment banks which is why a stringent background check is a necessary prerequisite for all of their job applicants
B)Clean criminal records of their employees is important to investment banks; hence, a stringent background check are necessary prerequisites for employment
C)Because they consider it important that all of their employees have a clean criminal record, investment banks require each job applicant to undergo a stringent background check
D)It is of some importance that all investment banks' workers have clean criminal records which is why many of them undergo stringent background checks
E)The reason that investment banks require background checks of their applicants is because they require clean criminal records of their employees
(A) "Which" requires a comma. "necessary prerequisite" is redundant.
(B) "Their" is bad because it refers to "criminal records". Subject-verb agreement of "check" and "are" is wrong. "Necessary prerequisites" remains redundant.
(C) NOW, to your issue about the pronoun. It is not ambiguous here at all. This is a legitimate construction, in which the pronoun refers to whatever comes directly after the comma. There is no other noun that could be "they/their," so it's totally logical.
(D) The "all" is unclear. Is it all the workers, or all the investment banks?. In correct usage of "which" again (no comma). Meaning is wrong. This is why the banks require background checks, not why the workers get the background checks.
(E) "They" is ambiguous here (banks? applicants?). As Avik said, "The reason...is because" is redundant. Also the meaning is totally off here. This isn't the reason they require background checks. It's because they think clean criminal records are important. The double "require" is illogical.

Hope that helps!

-t
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:29 pm
Soumita Ghosh wrote: I found C incorrect as they is ambiguous. They can indicate employees as well as investment banks. So it is not clear in the phrase for what they is used.
As Tommy noted, the pronoun in C is not ambiguous.
When an introductory modifier includes a pronoun without an antecedent, the referent should be the SUBJECT OF THE FOLLOWING CLAUSE.
Consider the following examples in the OG12:

Q7: As ITS sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring instruments, THE COMPANY...
Q28: Building on civilizations that preceded THEM in coastal Peru, THE MOHICA...
Q31: Even though many of HER colleagues were convinced that genes were relatively simple and static, BARBARA MCCLINTOCK...
Q105: In HER book illustrations, which SHE carefully
coordinated with HER narratives, BEATRIX POTTER...

In each case, the introductory modifier includes a pronoun without an antecedent.
In each case, the referent is the subject of the following clause.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:23 am
Mitch is right that this pronoun is not ambiguous - the referent should always should always be the subject of the independent clause (the noun right after the comma).

I just want to emphasize here that pronoun ambiguity is a tricky subject on the GMAT, and one that you should ignore if at all possible. Very occasionally, the GMAT will directly test pronoun ambiguity. More often than not, though, the GMAT will allow seeming ambiguity if the meaning is clear enough. See more here: https://www.beatthegmat.com/declaration- ... tml#539397
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Soumita Ghosh » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:19 pm
Just to clear my concept I want to know can we start sentence with that? As in A it is used.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Tommy Wallach » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:07 pm
Hey Soumita,

My understanding is that this type of construction is legal. I don't necessarily know if it's legal (used) on the GMAT, but it is grammatical in English:

That no one came to my party last was disappointing, but not surprising. All I want to talk about is grammar.

Is this the prettiest way to write this sentence? No. So I think the GMAT would avoid it, but the grammar is legal.

-t
ManhattanGMAT

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:19 pm
In the following SC from GMAT Prep, the subject of the OA is a that-clause:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/genetic-rela ... 10364.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Tommy Wallach » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:24 pm
Mitch, FTW! : )

-t
ManhattanGMAT