Time required to prep for GMAT

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Time required to prep for GMAT

by raghavsatwik » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:02 pm
I just completed by Diagnostic GMAT - scored a 660 (Q47, V35, IR 4.0). I am aiming for a 740 on the real test.

My current work schedule is not very hectic, so can spend about 2.5 hours on weekdays and about 5 hours each day on weekends. Are 8-10 weeks enough for me to move towards my target score?

Appreciate your opinion!!!

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members
GMAT Score:770

by Tommy Wallach » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:28 pm
Hey Ragha,

Short answer: Yes. That's plenty of time.

Medium Answer: Yes, and that's plenty of time, but getting a score as high as 740 involves some real learning/changing of your techniques, so make sure you're open to them. This is more than enough time, but if you don't study "well," then you aren't assured anything. Make sure you read curriculum books, and that you learn new techniques (For both Quant and Verbal) and apply them. Learn to categorize questions. Learn from your mistakes. If you do all that, then you should be able to reach your goal in that time. It won't be easy, but the only thing standing in your way is methodology, not time.

Hope that helps!

-t
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:47 pm
Your scores are pretty balanced and you have a nice score to start from.

The number of hours that you are putting in is plenty. But Tommy is right, it is all in how you study!

The first thing to do is to look into your techniques. You need to make sure that you have good solid, reliable methods each and every time. When you get to a certain level, say 700 versus 740, the higher score is often earned not necessarily because the test-taker knows more than the other one, but because he or she makes fewer errors.

Here is a two-part article from the Veritas Blog that explains why there are two kinds of errors that are actually good! And one kind that is bad. Please read these first.

https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/01 ... -the-gmat/
https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/01 ... -the-gmat/

Next here is an article that talks about the kinds of standards procedures that I mean when I say the sorts of techniques that can be relied on even in the heat of the real GMAT test. I call these procedures "handrails" because when you are in the middle of a test that is designed to trick you (or allow you to trick yourself) things can get slippery.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2012/10/ ... -handrails

If you can do these things you can get the most out of those hours of practice!

Are there any specific areas of concern that you have?
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:44 pm
Ragha:

I'll echo Tommy's answer and add one additional link for you to check out... we have written an interesting article that gives you some real specific thoughts about what/how you need to consider doing in order to get to that 'next level.'

https://www.manhattangmat.com/articles/7 ... erence.cfm

Hope you find it helpful.

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)