This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

erroneous

by imskpwr » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:53 am
While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as
other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that
stem from building nuclear plants that makes it more
expensive for them to generate electricity.

Please tell me Errors, if any, in the above q.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members
GMAT Score:770

by Tommy Wallach » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:33 pm
Hey Imskpwr,

I know you're gonna kill me, but I'll continue to recommend you post entire questions when asking stuff here. And here are the reasons:

1) The GMAT tests your ability to work out the best choice among a number of options. Often, there is no perfect answer choice. So trying to isolate problems without anything to compare them to is questionable.

2) Posting a full question allows everyone to see how good a question it is (people post from a lot of weird, not very good sources here on the forums), and thus whether the issues raised by it are likely to show up on the real test in the same format.

3) GMAT questions test multiple subjects in the splits, but often only if you see all the answer choices.

Okay. All that being said, we can look at this:

1) Generally, we would want to say "costs the same amount of something." It's weird/informal to use the word "same" when we don't technically know what it's the same as.

2) Major pronoun craziness here. There are three manifestations of the expletive "it". This very ugly/messy.

3) Subject-verb agreement: "makes" has "fixed costs" as the subject, which is plural. The sentence should say "make".

4) Meaning issue. As written, the sentence is kinda illogical. It's not the fixed costs of building that make it more expensive for nuclear plants to generate electricity (generating electricity is a running costs, not a fixed one). It's the fixed costs of building that make a nuclear plant less cost effective in general. Again, this is an issue that the correct answer would most likely fix in one way or another, but it's impossible to say for sure without seeing other answer choices.

5) The relative pronoun "that" could be placed better. At present, it could be modifying the "Costs" (as we want it to) or the "plants" (which it happens to touch). As with (4), the GMAT occasionally uses relative pronouns to modify compound subjects like this, but a correct answer would very likely fix it in some way.

Hope that helps!

-t
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!

by imskpwr » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:57 pm
Tommy Wallach wrote:Hey Imskpwr,

I know you're gonna kill me, but I'll continue to recommend you post entire questions when asking stuff here.
Oops!
Instead, I have been tearing my hair out trying to control my emotions.
And here are the reasons:
1) The GMAT tests your ability to work out the best choice among a number of options. Often, there is no perfect answer choice. So trying to isolate problems without anything to compare them to is questionable.
Very correct.
2) Posting a full question allows everyone to see how good a question it is (people post from a lot of weird, not very good sources here on the forums), and thus whether the issues raised by it are likely to show up on the real test in the same format.
Purpose of posting:
1) To CLEAR/REFINE one's REASONING.
2) This forum is NOT a QUESTION BANK. NO harm in using BTG as a Q-BANK, but it may have unfavorable results.

POSTED Q is from Official Guide, the only source that matters MOST. One more thread is already there(in BTG) with Full q & explanations.
3) GMAT questions test multiple subjects in the splits, but often only if you see all the answer choices.
This is true For any GMAT aspirant. But, Experts are EXPERT in such things.
Okay. All that being said, we can look at this:

1) Generally, we would want to say "costs the same amount of something." It's weird/informal to use the word "same" when we don't technically know what it's the same as.

2) Major pronoun craziness here. There are three manifestations of the expletive "it". This very ugly/messy.

3) Subject-verb agreement: "makes" has "fixed costs" as the subject, which is plural. The sentence should say "make".

4) Meaning issue. As written, the sentence is kinda illogical. It's not the fixed costs of building that make it more expensive for nuclear plants to generate electricity (generating electricity is a running costs, not a fixed one). It's the fixed costs of building that make a nuclear plant less cost effective in general. Again, this is an issue that the correct answer would most likely fix in one way or another, but it's impossible to say for sure without seeing other answer choices.

5) The relative pronoun "that" could be placed better. At present, it could be modifying the "Costs" (as we want it to) or the "plants" (which it happens to touch). As with (4), the GMAT occasionally uses relative pronouns to modify compound subjects like this, but a correct answer would very likely fix it in some way.

Hope that helps!

-t
Thanks A LOT.
It is Exactly what I was looking for.
However, can you tell me POSSIBLE antecedents of "it".
Also, can you comment on the sentence structure.
"it costs about the same to run nuclear plants "
"it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes it more expensive for them to generate electricity. "

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Tommy Wallach » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:19 pm
Hola,

The instances of "it," as far as I can see, have no antecedent. They are expletives, so don't require an antecedent.
"it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes it more expensive for them to generate electricity. "
The sentence structure of both seems fine; it only looks awful because of the other problems I mentioned.

-t
ManhattanGMAT

Legendary Member
Followed by:32 members
GMAT Score:760

by avik.ch » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:23 pm
imskpwr wrote:
However, can you tell me POSSIBLE antecedents of "it".
refer below...
imskpwr wrote: Also, can you comment on the sentence structure.
this is extraposed structure.

there are two ways looking at it ---

1. it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants.

it - grammatical subject
is - main verb
the fixed costs - noun predicate
that stem from building nuclear plants - logical subject.

here, the grammatical subject refer the logical subject. Argument can be made here, being an expletive, "it" stands on this own and do not refer to anything. So this give rise to second interpretation.

2. "it" - grammatical subject.
is - main verb
the fixed costs - noun predicate
that stem from building nuclear plants - complement

the same stands for other two extraposed structure in this sentence.

hope this helps !!
Last edited by avik.ch on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:32 members
GMAT Score:760

by avik.ch » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:27 pm
Tommy Wallach wrote:Hola,

The instances of "it," as far as I can see, have no antecedent. They are expletives, so don't require an antecedent.

-t
thanks !!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Tommy Wallach » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:36 pm
Whoa. There is no need to discuss extraposed structures here. And they are mega-rare on the GMAT. Oy. I love knowing a lot about grammar, but I think there is such a thing as overthinking it! : )

-t
ManhattanGMAT

Legendary Member
Followed by:20 members

by sana.noor » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:30 am
While it (who) costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants,----> the cost of X is about the same as for Y----> this is the right way

it is the fixed costs that stem (IT is? or it should be The fixed cost that stem) from building nuclear plants that makes it (it? what?) i guess "it" should be replaced with "electricity"

i am not sure about the usuage of "them" i want tommy to explain this
Work hard in Silence, Let Success make the noise.

If you found my Post really helpful, then don't forget to click the Thank/follow me button. :)

by imskpwr » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:19 am
sana.noor wrote:While it (who) costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants,----> the cost of X is about the same as for Y----> this is the right way

it is the fixed costs that stem (IT is? or it should be The fixed cost that stem) from building nuclear plants that makes it (it? what?) i guess "it" should be replaced with "electricity"

i am not sure about the usuage of "them" i want tommy to explain this
Please read the previous POSTs. You will surely get what your are looking for(expletives).
All your issues are already explained by TOMMY & AVIK.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Tommy Wallach » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:11 am
Hey Sana,

Indeed, the "it" issue has been explained. As for the "them," that would be "nuclear plants". It's a bit ambiguous (because it could also be referring to "other types of power plants," but the GMAT could possibly get away with it, if there were nothing else wrong. However, a perfect sentence would fix that issue as well.

-t
ManhattanGMAT