pls rate my essay...cleare

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

pls rate my essay...cleare

by mehaksal » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:15 am
QUESTION :-
The installation of high-speed scanning devices at the entrances and exits of toll roads will obviate the need of toll booths. Automobiles will have scanner-sensitive license plates, like bar codes on consumer goods, so that scanner devices will record the license number of cares entering and exiting toll roads. Car owners will be billed monthly by highway authorities.

ANSWER:-
Firstly, the writer states that the installation of high-speed scanning devices at the entrances and exits of toll roads will obviate the need of toll booths. No mention is made of what convinces him to make this fact obvious, there can be some other way of installing high speed scanning devices. Nowhere is it stated that this plan is approved by some higher authority or what is the basis of this saying.
Secondly, the writer presents the analogy of bar codes on consumer packaged products, to show how the scanner-sensitive license plates will work for automobiles. To understand it clearly, we need to know the functioning of bar codes well, 2-3 lines regarding the same would have been helpful for even a layman to understand his point of view. And since scanner-sensitive license plates are still unimplemented, one cannot be convinced of its working.
Lastly, he says that highway authorities will bill the car owners monthly. It is a feasible plan for cars plying on toll roads on a frequent basis, but not for cars which might not turn up more than a few times, as they might not turn up on the bill-paying day! As we are told about the authorization of the plan, we cannot comment on the practicality of it all.
In essence, a more detailed approach, underlying all the possible scenarios, would have been beneficial for us to get to the gist of it all in an clearer way.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members
GMAT Score:770

by Tommy Wallach » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:44 pm
Hey Mehaksal,

Can I ask where you got this prompt? To be totally honest, it does not seem like a legitimate essay prompt. I say this because there aren't any real logical assumptions made. The essay wants you to take advantage of practical problems with the roll-out of the plan (i.e. what about cars that don't have the license plates, etc.), but that's not how real Argument essay prompts work. The errors will be logical (like critical reasoning assumption questions), not purely practical. Notice how hard you had to try to find problems! No fun!

-t

P.S. Your essay here is way too short, but I don't blame you. Nobody could write a good long essay on this prompt! I looked it up and see it's from Barron's. They're normally a decent company, but this one is not realistic, in my humble opinion.
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!