Nice One : Is x negative?

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

Nice One : Is x negative?

by himu » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:22 pm
Is x negative?

(1) At least one of x and x2 is greater than x3.

(2) At least one of x2 and x3 is greater than x.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:15 am
If 0 < x < 1, then x^3 < x^2 < x.

If x > 1, then x < x^2 < x^3.

So when x is positive, x^2 is never the largest of the three expressions x, x^2 and x^3. Statement 1 tells us that x^3 is not the largest of the three expressions, and Statement 2 tells us x is not the largest of the three expressions. So x^2 must be the largest, and thus x cannot be positive. So the answer is C.

Note that neither statement is sufficient alone, since while x can certainly be negative using either statement, using statement 1, x could also be positive (x could be 1/2, say), and using Statement 2 x could be positive (x could be 2, say).
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

Followed by:3 members

by himu » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:58 pm
Thanks Ian, that is the correct ans :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:38 am
hey, i wrote that problem!

--

if you ever see a problem like this -- on which you're comparing different powers of the same variable -- then, immediately, you should think about the following number properties:
* signs
* "fractions" (between 0 and 1, or between -1 and 0) vs. "non-fractions" (greater than 1 or less than -1)

for each of these ranges of numbers -- less than -1; between -1 and 0; between 0 and 1; greater than 1 -- the powers have different properties, and so the ordering of the powers is different.
it's rather pointless (and possibly confusing) to memorize what happens to the powers. instead, just throw in a few numbers of each type and watch what they do.

if the inequalities are not strict inequalities (i.e., if they are the < or > type), then you should also mess around with the numbers 0, 1, and -1.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:26 am
Not to ditto everything that Ron is saying today...

I often tell my students that whenever they see a problem with exponents and inequalities, they should draw this number line, to make sure they don't forget positives/negatives or fractions/non-fractions:

If you quickly test each of these 7 numbers, you'll have considered all of the types of numbers that behave differently with inequalities and exponents.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

Followed by:1 members

by ani781 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:40 pm
I often tell my students that whenever they see a problem with exponents and inequalities, they should draw this number line, to make sure they don't forget positives/negatives or fractions/non-fractions:

If you quickly test each of these 7 numbers, you'll have considered all of the types of numbers that behave differently with inequalities and exponents.

Hi Ceilidh,
Can you please provide with the picture.... is the link working fine ? I am not being able to see it. Thanks in advance.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:24 am
Ceilidh's picture is at https://postimg.cc/image/6wrsd3hy1/
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron