New Proposal (need of vs need for)

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

New Proposal (need of vs need for)

by neeti2711 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:54 pm
The new proposal will encourage larger transparency about what data is being collected and how they will be used, and discourage the need for vaguely worded privacy or user notices.

A. encourage larger transparency about what data is being collected and how they will be used, and discourages the need for vaguely worded

B. encourage greater transparency regarding what data is being collected and how it will be used, but discourage the need of vaguely worded

C. encourage greater transparency about what data is being collected and how it will be used, and discourage the need for vaguely worded

D. encourage greater transparency on what data is being collected and how it will be used, and this will discourage the need for vaguely worded

E. encourage greater transparency for what data is being collected and how it will be used, and discourages the need for vaguely worded

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by vishalbpr » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:46 am
The new proposal will encourage larger transparency about what data is being collected and how they will be used, and discourage the need for vaguely worded privacy or user notices.

A. encourage larger transparency about what data is being collected and how they will be used, and discourage the need for vaguely worded //DATA is singular so how it will be used is correct

B. encourage greater transparency regarding what data is being collected and how it will be used, but discourage the need of vaguely worded //these two sentences are telling the benefits of new proposal. So but should not be used.

C. encourage greater transparency about what data is being collected and how it will be used, and discourage the need for vaguely worded //Correct

D. encourage greater transparency on what data is being collected and how it will be used, and this will discourage the need for vaguely worded //This will is not necessary

E. encourage greater transparency for what data is being collected and how it will be used, and discourages the need for vaguely worded // Discourages not in same tense.

------
I have recently started my preparation, so I could be incorrect.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members
GMAT Score:770

by Tommy Wallach » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:31 am

A. encourage larger transparency about what data is being collected and how they will be used, and discourages the need for vaguely worded
B. encourage greater transparency regarding what data is being collected and how it will be used, but discourage the need of vaguely worded
C. encourage greater transparency about what data is being collected and how it will be used, and discourage the need for vaguely worded
D. encourage greater transparency on what data is being collected and how it will be used, and this will discourage the need for vaguely worded
E. encourage greater transparency for what data is being collected and how it will be used, and discourages the need for vaguely worded
(A) "larger transparency" is nonsensical (it's not about size). "Data" is singular here (you can tell from the "is"), so "they" is wrong. Encourage/discourages isn't parallel.

(B) "need for" is the correct idiom here. A bigger issue is the use of "but," which implies some kind of contradiction, even though here it's not a contradiction at all. Notice the GMAT gives you something more grammatical than the tough idiom.

(C) Correct!

(D) "Transparency on" is idiomatically in correct. The "this" is totally ambiguous, plus the meaning is now wrong. The first thing doesn't lead to the second thing. They are two separate things!

(E) "Transparency for" doesn't make sense. Encourage/discourages isn't parallel.

I realize your question here is about "need of"/"need for", but I'm not quite sure how to explain it, other than to give examples:

"I have need of money."
"There's no need for histrionics."
"He implied that my need of affection was unfair."
"He says there's no need for alarm."

Perhaps the best explanation is that "need of" is personal, where "need for" is general. In other words, when a person/thing needs a specific thing, you should use "need of." When you're speaking of a more general state, you use "need for." However, notice that question doesn't revolve around only that split.

-t
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gmat4fun » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:05 am
Nice explanation Tommy. However, would like to add following -

Need of/for is a controversial terrain and the usage could not be properly classified even in terms of general and personal.

Your example - He implied that my need of affection was unfair. - is correct and so is" need for affection" as used in https://www.thefreedictionary.com/need

As you have already emphasized, one should look out for reasons other than just idioms for marking correct answer choice.

Cheers!