GMATPREP All Sentence Correction Questions

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:650

GMATPREP All Sentence Correction Questions

by bpolley00 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:18 pm
Hey everyone,

I believe someone has already compiled all of the GMATPREP SC questions with the answers; however, they do not have the experts replies/ explanations for the answers, which are scattered around the forums. Since I have completed both retakes for the GMATPREP and my exam is coming up, I thought it would be a nice last thing to go over before the exam. I am currently compiling all of the Explanations to the GMATPREP software so the experts won't have to keep answering the same questions they have answered a million times. I also thought it would be a nice way for people to conclude their studying and to have all of that information in an organized fashion.

If any of the experts are opposed to this idea please speak up and I will not post it; however, I thought it would be beneficial to the whole community if it hasn't already been done, which it may have and I just missed it.

Let me know what everyone's thoughts are.

-BP

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members
GMAT Score:770

by Tommy Wallach » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:53 pm
Hey BP,

Sounds like a pretty cool idea, but I'm not sure if it's okayable. First of all, it would be an enormous, ENORMOUS post, which might be longer than is actually allowed in a post. Second of all, if you're posting the official explanations (as opposed to your own explanations), those are likely copyrighted material (you could ask about that in the "ask GMAT" forum).

But those are just my thoughts. Perhaps others will comment?

-t
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!

by bpolley00 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:42 am
Tommy,

I would attach it as a word attachment to the post; although, yes it would be a very lengthy word document. I wouldn't be posting official explanations as it would just be expert's explanations from this forum. Let me be more concise, I am basically just compiling all of the GMATPREP software SC questions and going through the forums for expert's answer explanations for not only the correct answers but for the incorrect answers as well. I have already started doing it and I feel like there are multiple rules that are being used that can be abstracted out of these to aid people in their studies. So really it is YOUR answer explanations that are being added; however, sometimes I put them in a more concise manner. That is basically why I was asking if the experts on here are ok with it , as I know you spend a lot of time thinking through the questions and I did not want to take away from the hands on help you guys offer so many people.

Thoughts?

-Bp

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:24 pm
I really appreciate the fact that you respect the time and effort that the experts put into these explanations - we're here because we want to help, and we make a lot of effort to do that thoughtfully. To that end, it might be helpful to compile a list of the questions with links to expert answers, or links to the experts' profiles or something. That way, the experts would get direct credit.

As far as the copyright issue... Tommy is correct, this is copyrighted material. From what I understand, though, the GMAC says that it's ok to reprint any material that is available free to the public (GMATPrep materials), but it's not ok to reprint any paid materials (OGs) in full. That's why experts won't post full OG problems. However, the GMAT doesn't seem to go after individuals who post on forums like this. It's never ok to reprint GMAT materials with the intent to sell them, of course. And it's never ok to post live GMAT problems (like if you took the test, came back home and posted them here).
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Tommy Wallach » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:33 pm
I second everything Ceilidh said. Though all of us enjoy posting here on the forum we are all also trying to show our skills as instructors, in case people decide to go a step further in their study plan and take a class. To that end, it would feel a little sad to have everything decocted down to a single Word document that could be read off-site (I also know BeatTheGMAT wouldn't like it, because it would keep people off the site!). That being said, I can't think of any rules you're breaking or anything, so you just have to follow your nose on it. : )

-t
ManhattanGMAT

by bpolley00 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:06 pm
Tommy and Ceilidh,

Thanks for the responses. I think if people want to find what you guys have to say they should be willing to take the time to look it up; and thus, be more able to recognize your talents and your abilities.

Tommy- in regards to the decoding everything down to a single word document - what do you think I have been doing with the plethora of Finance, Econ, and Accounting books I have for the past 4 years? I am practically an expert on consolidation of random information.

Thanks again for the advice guys, not sure why you give it for free though. The only thing I have thought of is because the market for GMAT instructors has turned from an Oligiopoly to a more competitive market or it could just be because you are such great people. I am sure it is the latter. :)

- BP

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Tommy Wallach » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:15 pm
Hey BP,

It's not given away for free! We're well-paid experts! : )

-t
ManhattanGMAT

Followed by:4 members

by challenger63 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:32 pm
Some people actually tried to do this in the past.

Please find below some files for SC and CR from GMATClub.

To my mind, these files are incomplete. There are some questions which are missed there. Another problem is that there is not division between 700+ and 700- questions in the file.

You could fix the underlined problems and then send the files to GMATClub members.

Please also notice that one more collection of GMATPrep SC questions exists (GMATPREP COMPREHENSIVE SC.pdf). But I strongly recommend not to use it. That set contains many questions which are not from official sources.
Attachments
GPOA.doc
GMATPrep SC from GmatClub (Answers)
(153 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
GPSC.doc
GMATPrep SC from GmatClub (Questions)
(299.5 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
GMAT Prep CR.docx
GMATPrep CR from (Questions+Answers)
(135.68 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
If you find my post useful, please don't hesitate to click thanks button.

I am not an expert, so I can make mistakes. If you see a mistake, please notify me.

Followed by:4 members

by challenger63 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:40 pm
In addition to SC and CR, please find RC passages from GMATPrep.

I know there are also compilations of all Math problems, especially 700+ questions. But I don't have electronic versions of those sets.
Attachments
rc1.rtf
GMATPrep RC Part I
(158.79 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
rc2.rtf
GMATPrep RC Part II
(140.29 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
If you find my post useful, please don't hesitate to click thanks button.

I am not an expert, so I can make mistakes. If you see a mistake, please notify me.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by akshat11 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:10 am
Hi challenger63,
Are the following sources attached by you above strictly from GMATPrep :
GPSC.doc
GPOA.doc
GMAT Prep CR.docx
rc2.rtf
rc1.rtf

Or do these also contain some question from other sources - OG,Question Bank ,etc?