MGMAT 640 but GMATPREP 550. confused.!!

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members
I have taken MGMAT tests and have constantly scored V34 in the last 3 tests. However I took GMATPrep and scored 550 (Q45 V21).(Very much demotivated by the score) And the worst part is I skipped the screen of reviewing the questions, thinking that it will be available after closing the screen (like in MGMAT reports). Now I am kind of clueless as to what went wrong and what should I improve on.
One thing i noticed is that I got almost same amount of questions wrong in the verbal section. I normally get ~20 wrong out of 41 questions in every MGMAT test. In the GMATPrep I got 20 wrong and 21 right. This is the only thing I got to observe before i clicked next. (I really shouldn't have skipped the screen :( ) Also in the test I missed answering the last question. Has this messing with time and not answering the last question affected my verbal score?
I really don't know how to review this test I gave.. Please suggest something.
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Randy_Pausch

Don't complain; just work harder.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:58 pm
the_silver_lining wrote:I have taken MGMAT tests and have constantly scored V34 in the last 3 tests. However I took GMATPrep and scored 550 (Q45 V21).(Very much demotivated by the score) And the worst part is I skipped the screen of reviewing the questions, thinking that it will be available after closing the screen (like in MGMAT reports). Now I am kind of clueless as to what went wrong and what should I improve on.
One thing i noticed is that I got almost same amount of questions wrong in the verbal section. I normally get ~20 wrong out of 41 questions in every MGMAT test. In the GMATPrep I got 20 wrong and 21 right. This is the only thing I got to observe before i clicked next. (I really shouldn't have skipped the screen :( ) Also in the test I missed answering the last question. Has this messing with time and not answering the last question affected my verbal score?
I really don't know how to review this test I gave.. Please suggest something.
A few quick thoughts here:

1. Skipping last question not ideal -- shouldn't skip ANY questions.... but one question will not kill you.
2. Don't worry about # wrong and # right when you have moved into exam mode -- remember, it's an adapative exam... it's about degree of difficulty and the # of hard/easy problems you get right/wrong.

Practice exams are great -- they are even better when you can really analyze the results and help you narrow your focus on where/how you need to prepare even more. Check this link out for some more tips/suggestions -- https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... ice-tests/

Hope this helps.

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:07 am
the_silver_lining wrote: One thing i noticed is that I got almost same amount of questions wrong in the verbal section. I normally get ~20 wrong out of 41 questions in every MGMAT test. In the GMATPrep I got 20 wrong and 21 right.
As Brian said, don't worry about the # of correct/incorrect answers. Your scores are not based on how many questions you answer correctly; they're based on the level of difficulty of the questions you answer correctly.

When I was writing the BTG article Taking the GMATPrep Practice Tests Multiple Times (https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2010/03/ ... iple-times), I took GMATPrep Practice Test #1 four times, and each time I answered every second question correctly (I did this for the quant section only)

Given that I correctly answered exactly half of the questions each time, you'd expect my quant scores to be roughly the same for all 4 tests.

My 4 scaled scores were: 19, 23, 26 and 42

This represents a percentile range from approximately the 8th percentile to the 63rd percentile.

So, as you can see, answering half the questions correctly (as you did) can result in a wide range of scores.

Aside: If you're interested, we have a free video explaining the GMAT scoring algorithm: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... es?id=1251

the_silver_lining wrote: This is the only thing I got to observe before i clicked next. (I really shouldn't have skipped the screen :( ) ...I really don't know how to review this test I gave.. Please suggest something.
Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do at this point. This is a problem that the test-makers are hoping to fix. More info here: https://www.beatthegmat.com/resume-to-gm ... 24597.html

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com