For 620 in 2010, Target 720+ - in 6 weeks- possible?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:620
HI All,

I wrote GMAT for the first time in 2010 with very little preparation and got 620. However rather than apply to schools with this ( I had planned to attend top schools such as LBS, Wharton), I got a job in clo's and postponed my plans of obtaining an Msc in Finance.
However 2 years on I have decided to apply to London Business School for their MiF program in hope that this will help me get a job in my preferred area of work (Corp Fin.)
LBS have indicated if I get higher than 650 in my GMAT score that I would be considered for interview and if I got above 700 that would highly bolster my application. As a result I am aiming for a 100pt improvement on my GMAT score of 2010. 720!!!!
I have bought the entire set of MGMAT books and OG books, they arrived today. I have booked my exam date for the 28th of January and I cannot take it any later than that because I will have to start studying for CFA level 2 in February.
My verbal score has always been better than my quants score i
I took a test in August and got 610v (v38 and q35) - lower than my actual GMAT score in 2010 and rather disappointing. Since then I hadn't really had time to do much studying but I got back on the horse last week and just went over some quant areas that i was rather shaky in (Geometry and FDP). I have always always done better in verbal than quants and always run out of time in
Took another test yesterday and I got 640 v39 and q39 .I didn't finish the quant as usual ( missed our 3 questions). And now I have decided to take a more structured approach to my studies as I need to get 720 and I don't want to postpone my test .
Quants are my problem area. I always panic when it comes to the quants. Obviously finishing a section would help a lot but I still believe I need to brush up on the basics esp wrt prblems etc. I would appreciate any guide on completing my studies by the 28th of January. ( the standard one is for 2 months and has more focus on verbal than I need - advice on how to tweak it to make it quant-centric and based on 6 weeks would be much appreciated)
Currently What I am planning on doing is going over the MGMAT books - quant. I thought it would be a good idea to follow the 60 day plan but cut out the verbal part. So I can improve my quant score. ( Next 3 weeks)
And then run over critical reason and reading comprehension as these are my weak areas. spot learn verbal using results on practise questions. ( 2 weeks for Verbal) and the rest for practise tests.
Thanks for taking the time to read and help in advance!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:30 am
Your plan sounds good. However, I would try to practice both the verbal and the quant at the same time - simply devote 75% of your time to the quant and only 25% to the verbal. Start taking tests 3 weeks before your exam, note down your mistakes carefully and revise the topics that you find more challenging. Don't focus on your timing currently (when learning theory) but on quality, focus on time management when you start taking tests.
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

by taeyasalm » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:24 pm
HI Kaisa,

I'm practicing test and doing OK but when it comes to learning from my mistakes I am still coming up empty. What is the best way to learn from my mistakes?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:34 pm
taeyasalm wrote:HI Kaisa,

I'm practicing test and doing OK but when it comes to learning from my mistakes I am still coming up empty. What is the best way to learn from my mistakes?
Taeyasalm:

Good question. A few links/articles that may help you get there. Ultimately, it's about two big things.

1) Learn Learn LEARN from your mistakes. At this stage, when you get a problem wrong, you shouldn't move on until you've either said "I'm never going to make this mistake again" or "This concept is beyond my mental ability, if I get tested on this on the actual exam, I'll simply make an educated guess and move along.

https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... -the-gmat/

https://www.manhattangmat.com/articles/error-log.cfm

2) Come up with a specific game plan to get through the next six weeks. Use the diagnostic data you have from practice tests to get more and more focused about where you invest your study time. Imagine a status control board -- you want as many green lights on that board as possible. Focus on the yellows to make them green. And, at this stage, the red lights -- well, they might just be red lights. Act accordingly.

https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... an-part-1/
https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... ew-part-2/
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2010/07/ ... s-on-quant
https://www.manhattangmat.com/articles/e ... verbal.cfm

I realize that I've shared a lot of links -- but I think they are all helpful.

Good luck!!

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

by taeyasalm » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:51 pm
Hi Brian,

Thanks so much for the articles. I am currently going through my errors as we speak :).

by taeyasalm » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:10 pm
I have one more query.

I completed my 2nd gmat prep test today and I got a score of 660 Q44 V37. This is the first time I completed the whole test ( typically I never finish)

My last score on the gmat prep test was 640 (q69 v39) I take the test on Monday and I have all of Saturday and Sunday to prepare.

What advice would you give me for these last 3 days. I really would like to get 700 on the test, I know its a long shot but what strategy would make this a possibility.

Thanks! in advance !!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by brianlange77 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:48 pm
taeyasalm wrote:I have one more query.

I completed my 2nd gmat prep test today and I got a score of 660 Q44 V37. This is the first time I completed the whole test ( typically I never finish)

My last score on the gmat prep test was 640 (q69 v39) I take the test on Monday and I have all of Saturday and Sunday to prepare.

What advice would you give me for these last 3 days. I really would like to get 700 on the test, I know its a long shot but what strategy would make this a possibility.

Thanks! in advance !!
So, here's what I would truly recommend. Enjoy the Super Bowl on Sunday and go to bed at a reasonable time. Spend Friday and Saturday focusing on two or three content areas that have always given you a lot of trouble. See if you can improve your knowledge/understanding by 25%. That just might make the difference.

I'd rather you be fully rested for the exam -- rather than burn yourself out and make careless mistakes on Monday.

One last article for you -- https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... -the-gmat/

Good luck!

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

by taeyasalm » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:59 pm
brianlange77 wrote:
taeyasalm wrote:I have one more query.

Thanks! in advance !!
So, here's what I would truly recommend. Enjoy the Super Bowl on Sunday and go to bed at a reasonable time. Spend Friday and Saturday focusing on two or three content areas that have always given you a lot of trouble. See if you can improve your knowledge/understanding by 25%. That just might make the difference.

I'd rather you be fully rested for the exam -- rather than burn yourself out and make careless mistakes on Monday.

One last article for you -- https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... -the-gmat/

Good luck!

-Brian
Hi All,

I took the GMAT today and got 640 v35 q42 :( which means back to the drawing board. my score was really no surprise to me as I was a bunch of nerves and was not comfortable at all during the quantitative section despite having gone through 90% of the quants material on the gmatprepnow website.

Its back to the drawing board for me as disappointed as I am in my score, I find that I am more determined to beat the GMAT! Do you have any suggestions on how to improve my score into the 700's. I want to retake the exam in 4 to 6 weeks.

I think I have to improve my verbal score too as it seems to have fallen quite a bit and I must admit I was a little more unsure than usual when I got to the verbal round!.

I would appreciate any structure/ content suggestions available!

Many Thanks

Taeya

by taeyasalm » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:13 pm
Also I'd say I had to guess approximated 7-8 questions on the quantative section and 4-5 on the verbal because I just kept blowing time on questions. (I will be reading some time management articles!)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by brianlange77 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:03 pm
taeyasalm wrote:Also I'd say I had to guess approximated 7-8 questions on the quantative section and 4-5 on the verbal because I just kept blowing time on questions. (I will be reading some time management articles!)
Your answer is right there .. if you are guessing on nearly 17% of the questions on the test -- candidly, it's going to be hard to get to 700+. What do the diagnostics of your practice exams indicate? Where are you spending too much time?

There are two types of ways to spend too much time on a question:

1. Spend a lot of time, but still get the question right ---> Must figure out how to get these questions done more quickly.

2. Spend a lot of time, still get it wrong ---> Awful.. MUST NOT DO THIS

So -- where are you?

-Brian

by taeyasalm » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:13 am
Hi Brian,

I think its an even split between both. I'd say in particular it throws me when i cant answer the question once or twice after spending a lot of time on a question and the rest of the test is spent worrying about time i have lost and some of the difficult questions!

I'm not sure how to arrange my revision for the test with 4-6 weeks of study? Any suggestions
I know i need stress/time management but I'm unsure where else to go. I obviously need to master certain areas in topic knowledge. (Inequalities and word problems)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by brianlange77 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:53 pm
taeyasalm wrote:Hi Brian,

I think its an even split between both. I'd say in particular it throws me when i cant answer the question once or twice after spending a lot of time on a question and the rest of the test is spent worrying about time i have lost and some of the difficult questions!

I'm not sure how to arrange my revision for the test with 4-6 weeks of study? Any suggestions
I know i need stress/time management but I'm unsure where else to go. I obviously need to master certain areas in topic knowledge. (Inequalities and word problems)
Okay.. step 1... stop spending more than 90 seconds on problems you know you are almost certain to be guessing on as is. Try that out in some problem sets and see how that feels.

Step 2 -- Deep breaths. Go spill a glass of milk... don't cry about it. Once you've moved on past a problem, it's done. If you don't want to worry about running out of time -- don't spend more than 2-3 minutes on any one problem.

Not intending to be short -- but if you know what the problems are, you need to try some solutions to fix them.

Thoughts?

-Brian

by taeyasalm » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:31 am
Honestly i I think im obsessing a little bit about the processs rather than getting on with it :?

HAHA time to start alll over again! thanks for the advice Brian! I really appreciate it.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by brianlange77 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:56 pm
Yes -- this is as much about stress management at this stage.

What do you do when you need to relax?

Here's an article with some tips -- https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... anagement/

Good luck!!

-Brian

by taeyasalm » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:21 pm
I read a book!

So I took some time off to relax and I've been to several poetry nights ( i LOVE poetry) and reading a ton of non fiction books :)

Im back on grind now tho.

Wrote my first CAT exam to get a sense of where I am it was a MGMAT test and scored 670 which was nice to see. I wasnt feeling stressed at all when I took and I think that was a contributor to the score.

Exam wise I have given myself another 6 weeks to prepare. I think for now I will continue to use gmatprepnow and the couple of manhattan gmat books I have ( as well as the OG guides )

I am going to use this to plan out how I will be splitting out the next 4 weeks of ironing out my kinks and then I will use the last 2 weeks of prep to start my CAT exams in depth (error coverage and all)