Retailers and Web sites (which vs that)

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Retailers and Web sites (which vs that)

by neeti2711 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:41 pm
For smaller retailers and Web sites, which pay regular mail rates and may be shipping from only one location, free shipping is not nearly as affordable and often must be added into prices

A. which pay regular mail rates and may be shipping from only one location, free shipping is not nearly as affordable and often must

B. that pay regular mail rates and may ship from only one location, free shipping is not nearly as affordable and often must

C. who pay regular mail rates and may ship from only one location, free shipping is not nearly so affordable and it often must

D. which pays regular mail rates and may ship from only one location, free shipping is not as nearly affordable and often must

E. which pay regular mail rates and may ship from only one location, free shipping is not nearly as affordable and often must

Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:700

by hemant_rajput » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:32 am
neeti2711 wrote:For smaller retailers and Web sites, which pay regular mail rates and may be shipping from only one location, free shipping is not nearly as affordable and often must be added into prices

A. which pay regular mail rates and may be shipping from only one location, free shipping is not nearly as affordable and often must

B. that pay regular mail rates and may ship from only one location, free shipping is not nearly as affordable and often must

C. who pay regular mail rates and may ship from only one location, free shipping is not nearly so affordable and it often must

D. which pays regular mail rates and may ship from only one location, free shipping is not as nearly affordable and often must

E. which pay regular mail rates and may ship from only one location, free shipping is not nearly as affordable and often must
that is use for restrictive clause and which is for non-restrictive clause.

and i think who is the correct modifier here. so my answer is C.

what is OA?
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members
GMAT Score:770

by Tommy Wallach » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:57 pm
For smaller retailers and Web sites, which pay regular mail rates and may be shipping from only one location, free shipping is not nearly as affordable and often must be added into prices

(A) Parallelism broken on "which pay...and may be shipping"
(B) "That" is incorrect, because this is a non-essential modifier. We're not trying to describe a specific type of small retailer/web site (i.e. the type that pay regular mail rates and ship from one location). We're describing ALL small retailers and websites, then DESCRIBING how they work (i.e. they pay regular mailes rates and ship from one location).
(C) "Who" is for peoples. The "it" at the end is unnecessary. "So affordable" isn't the best comparison marker. One usually says "I am not as rich as you," not "I am not so rich as you."
(D) "Pays" is wrong subject-verb agreement, because our subject is plural (smaller retailers and web sites).
(E) Correct!
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:35 am
Can you tell us the source of this question? It doesn't seem like an official GMAT question, because the comparison structure in all of the answer choices is broken. If we say "[something] is not nearly as affordable..." we need to compare to the thing that it's not as affordable as! A correct answer should say something like "... not nearly as affordable as it is for larger retailers."
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

by neeti2711 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:32 am
OA is E

Source: Aristotle SC Grail