Nice one : Hailed as a key discovery

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

Nice one : Hailed as a key discovery

by himu » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:28 pm
Hailed as a key discovery in the science of evolution, the fossils of a large scaly creature resembling both a fish and a land-animal provide evidence of a possible link in the evolutionary chain from water-based to land-based organisms.

the fossils of a large scaly creature resembling both a fish and a land-animal provide evidence of

a large scaly creature resembling both a fish and a land-animal provides fossils that are evidence

a large scaly creature, whose fossils resemble both a fish and a land-animal, provides evidence of

the fossils of a large scaly creature, which resembles both a fish and a land-animal, provides evidence of

the fossils of a large scaly creature resemble both a fish and a land-animal and provide evidence of

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members

by patanjali.purpose » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:19 pm
himu wrote:Hailed as a key discovery in the science of evolution, the fossils of a large scaly creature resembling both a fish and a land-animal provide evidence of a possible link in the evolutionary chain from water-based to land-based organisms.

the fossils of a large scaly creature resembling both a fish and a land-animal provide evidence of

a large scaly creature resembling both a fish and a land-animal provides fossils that are evidence

a large scaly creature, whose fossils resemble both a fish and a land-animal, provides evidence of

the fossils of a large scaly creature, which resembles both a fish and a land-animal, provides evidence of

the fossils of a large scaly creature resemble both a fish and a land-animal and provide evidence of
HAILED AS...EVOLUTION should modifiy FOSSILS not CREATURE. As per the meaning, Creature is not hailed as key discovery - its the FOSSILS. drop B/C

D - FOSSILS....PROVIDES (wrong sibject-verb)
E - RESEMBLE....AND PROVIDE use of two verbs suggest that RESEMBLING AND PROVIDING are two different activities, but as per the original sentence, FOSSILS THAT RESEMBLE FISH AND LAND ANIMAL PROVIDE EVIDENCE OF XXXX. Meaning, the discovers may have found many fossils, but they are interested in fossils that resemble fish and land animal. These fossils provide evidence of link.

IMO A

by Lifetron » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:07 pm
IMO A ! Same reasons as patanjali

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members
GMAT Score:770

by Tommy Wallach » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:54 am
Hey Guys,

Great explanations here! I would only add that the issue with (C) is that it's not the large scaly creature that provides evidence of the link; it's the fossil. Technically, the opening modifier could modify the large scaly creature, if that large scaly creature were alive and in itself it provided the link in the evolutionary chain. But because we know this had to happen a long time ago, it has to be the fossils, not the creature. This makes the first part wrong as well, but it's worth looking at both pieces.

-t
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Tommy Wallach » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:55 am
Hey Guys,

Great explanations here! I would only add that the issue with (C) is that it's not the large scaly creature that provides evidence of the link; it's the fossil. Technically, the opening modifier could modify the large scaly creature, if that large scaly creature were alive and in itself it provided the link in the evolutionary chain. But because we know this had to happen a long time ago, it has to be the fossils, not the creature. This makes the first part wrong as well, but it's worth looking at both pieces.

-t
ManhattanGMAT

by himu » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:32 pm
Yes u r correct.
The OA is A

But can someone pls throw more light on why it should be the FOSSILS & no the CREATURE?
I mean I understand the meaning here...but the < large scaly creature> can also be discovered NOW since this has happened a long time ago as Tommy mentioned ?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Tommy Wallach » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:36 pm
Hey Himu,

I think we can actually do this question without even worrying about that distinction.
Hailed as a key discovery in the science of evolution, the fossils of a large scaly creature resembling both a fish and a land-animal provide evidence of a possible link in the evolutionary chain from water-based to land-based organisms.

(A) Great.
(B) It doesn't provide fossils. That makes no sense.
(C) The fossils don't resemble a fish and a land-animal, the creature does (a fossil looks like a dirty rock!).
(D) SV Agreement.
(E) SV Agreement.

So even if you don't like the fossils/creature split, they still give you stuff to go on!

-t
ManhattanGMAT