Executive or Full time MBA ?????

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Executive or Full time MBA ?????

by annejemmy » Thu May 15, 2008 9:44 pm
Hi everyone !!!!

I planned to start my MBA in 2009/2010 and I already start working for my GMAT :( . I have selected the schools I would like to get into (5 in NA and 1 in Europe) but I have not set my mind about the type of program I will join : executive/full time MBA :shock: ?
I am 27 and I have been working for 3 years in a Big Four and I am moving to Internal Audit for international exposure for 2 years.

I read that executive MBA are interesting for mi-career executives willing to get promoted within their companies and the average student is 35 years old, which will not be my case in 2010. The main advantage is that my company is willing to pay for it, since it is convenient with my work schedule. I am based in Europ and the only executive MBA that I find interesting and that woul be financed by the company is LBS Executive MBA. Executive MBA in NA are out of reach, since I am based in France :cry: !!!

I went to many MBA presentations in Paris and it seems that full-time MBA are opened to younger student, the career department is very active and the ties amoung the promotion are very strong. The main disadvantage is the personal research of financing (loans, scholarships).

At the moment, I think that the full-time MBA would be better for me but I will need to stop working for 2 years and find money !!!!!

Thanks for your help !!!!!

Anne

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by mwilliams » Thu May 15, 2008 9:48 pm
edit: cleared
Last edited by mwilliams on Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Fri May 16, 2008 2:28 pm
Hi Anne,

I think its fantastic that your company is willing to fund an EMBA program. That is a great reflection on your importance to the company. Moreover, saves you a lot of money!!

Unfortunately I don't know too much about EMBA programs, but have you looked into schools with joint programs. For example, I know Wharton has a joint program with INSEAD. I am not sure if this applies to the EMBA program, but you might want to expand your research at top FT MBA programs and learn more about what EMBA options there are (including distance learning programs). You might be able to find other options you didnt know about.

Good luck!

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_Tatiana » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:10 am
Hi Anne,

I'm also 27 and I am currently in an EMBA type program, Babson's Fast Track. The average work experience is 10 years, and average age is low 30s. I have really enjoyed going to school with people that bring so much experience to our classroom discussions. I feel I got more out of this program than what I would have gotten out of full time.

The format of Babson's program is that most of the coursework is online (but very demanding! You have to post on the forums nearly every day, or you will fall behind.) We meet in person every 6 weeks for two days at a time. I am in the Portland, Oregon program, but I know there are international travellers in the Boston program.

You may want to consider an East Coast EMBA program, if you can talk your employer into picking up the plane tickets every few weeks. Even if they won't pay for the tickets, you need to work out the financials yourself. You may very well be better off keeping your job and having your MBA funded by your company, and shelling out for the travel yourself. It's a small cost for such a huge opportunity.

Best wishes,

Tatiana
Tatiana Becker | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep