Question in regards to practice vs GMATPREP Tests

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:650
Hey everyone,

Just a quick question for the experts to see if they have encountered students with a similar issue I am having; which, because they are experts I am sure you have :). I just went back through my GMAT prep test from yesterday and as I am reviewing my questions that I missed, I am seeing something that is generally concerning. I scored a 660, which isn't bad but those who have spoken with me before know I took a practice test from 1998 and scored a perfect score two days ago. I am beginning to think that this is maybe because of the format of computer vs paper test or perhaps because of AWA and IR before hand. I say this because as I am looking over the questions I missed none were particularly difficult. In fact, I just did one in about 30 seconds that I was stumped on during the test. It is almost as if I go in see a question and get stumped; however, outside the test I can easily figure it out by writing it down on a piece of paper. Perhaps this is an endurance issue or test anxiety issue. I have also had issues at prior jobs where I was starring at a computer screen for long time periods and getting Migraine headaches to where my vision would blur, which was obviously incredibly enjoyable.

Your general thoughts/ advice on this? Or should I just suck it up and figure it out. hahah One thing I had in mind was perhaps taking the time during the test to write down a quick synopsis of EVERY question; although, I am not sure if I will have the time to do that. Also, I don't know if it will be feasible with the white board. By the way, that brings me to another question - What is the point of making people use a whiteboard? I mean next year the Gmat should make everyone stand on one foot, touch their nose every 7th question,jog in place every 10th question, and do 30 push ups every 12 question. Now that sounds like a challenge. Plus, perhaps it will encourage people to start taking better care of themselves by having to workout before taking the GMAT. This could decrease healthcare costs over time, certainly something that is desirable.

-BP

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:37 am
bpolley00 wrote:Hey everyone,

Just a quick question for the experts to see if they have encountered students with a similar issue I am having; which, because they are experts I am sure you have :). I just went back through my GMAT prep test from yesterday and as I am reviewing my questions that I missed, I am seeing something that is generally concerning. I scored a 660, which isn't bad but those who have spoken with me before know I took a practice test from 1998 and scored a perfect score two days ago. I am beginning to think that this is maybe because of the format of computer vs paper test or perhaps because of AWA and IR before hand. I say this because as I am looking over the questions I missed none were particularly difficult. In fact, I just did one in about 30 seconds that I was stumped on during the test. It is almost as if I go in see a question and get stumped; however, outside the test I can easily figure it out by writing it down on a piece of paper. Perhaps this is an endurance issue or test anxiety issue. I have also had issues at prior jobs where I was starring at a computer screen for long time periods and getting Migraine headaches to where my vision would blur, which was obviously incredibly enjoyable.

Your general thoughts/ advice on this? Or should I just suck it up and figure it out. hahah One thing I had in mind was perhaps taking the time during the test to write down a quick synopsis of EVERY question; although, I am not sure if I will have the time to do that. Also, I don't know if it will be feasible with the white board. By the way, that brings me to another question - What is the point of making people use a whiteboard? I mean next year the Gmat should make everyone stand on one foot, touch their nose every 7th question,jog in place every 10th question, and do 30 push ups every 12 question. Now that sounds like a challenge. Plus, perhaps it will encourage people to start taking better care of themselves by having to workout before taking the GMAT. This could decrease healthcare costs over time, certainly something that is desirable.

-BP
B:

You know I love ya bud. Have you ever seen the seminal classic "What about Bob" starring Bill Murray? You need a weekend at Lake Winnapausakee(sp?) to "Take a vacation from your problems."

All kidding aside -- two quick thoughts here:

1. If you truly believe that you might be suffering from a learning disability that is affecting your performance, then I would encourage you to visit the following link (https://www.mba.com/the-gmat/schedule-a- ... ities.aspx) and figure out if/how you'd want to pursue that path.

2. If not, deep breath, exhale, watch the Niners ruin Rey Lewis's send-off party tonite, and go out to see Argo in theaters tomorrow night (or something of the sort.)

You have to be careful to not let yourself get caught up in things for which you have dramatically little control.

Thoughts?

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:650

by bpolley00 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:30 pm
Brian,

hahahha I don't have a learning disability. I just laughed out loud. What do you mean you are not a Ray Lewis fan? Why? He is such a great person. .......

In regards to your comments:

I am just frustrated about making silly mistakes I guess. It is weird to me that I miss a question and then the next day I review it and the answer is completely obvious and takes 30 seconds to figure out. I mean I missed a stupid math question about circular gears that was at most a mid-level 600 question. Perhaps, I just need to continue to work on it and my personality is such, that, once I decide to do something it is going to happen, period. I don't care if it takes me the next 4 years to get above a 700 on this silly test. Obviously this is an exaggeration, but you get my point. It is going to happen. I will go through every single question ever made until I thoroughly understand all of them. I have never encountered something in my life where I just couldn't do it if I put my mind to it. I am certainly not going to start now.

As always, thanks for your time and valuable advice Brian.

-Bp

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Telberg » Fri May 24, 2013 5:08 am
I just noticed this topic but maybe my reply can help others.

If you miss-read or misunderstand when reading off a computer but not as much as when reading off paper, maybe you have a vision focusing issue (eyes aren't working together for some reason) or a visual attention problem. In such cases, it's easier to read off paper because you can underline, mark up/or track with your finger and more easily read repeatedly.

Tova

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Sat May 25, 2013 6:52 pm
Tova:

Thanks for the reply -- but, unless I am missing something -- you do realize this is a computer-based test, correct? Help me out -- what am I missing in your response.

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Telberg » Sat May 25, 2013 8:48 pm
GMAT used to offer a paper based test where it is easier to track, as an accommodation. I don't think it does so anymore but it's worthwhile checking, since GMAT changes things now and then and they make special exceptions. If it does, get a psychoeducational evaluaton and see if there is a rationale for it.

If someone suspects they have a problem, get a vision focusing test ( ocular accommodation insufficiency) with an optometrist. If it comes out positive, get a psychoeducatinoal evaluation and tell the evaluator about the problem. It should show up in test findings too and history. At the very least it qualifies for a time extension, enlarged print, or enlarged font. Even with just a time extension, some of the pressure is off and the student can read repeatedly or try and track with his finger or pencil anyway.

If vision focusing deficits are ruled out check whether an attention disorder exists with a neurologist and then same process- get a psychoed which might also separately find an attention disorder and apply for a time extension and whatever else might be relevant.

Sometimes requesting enlarged font helps with vision or attention issues, but then it can divide the question onto two screen pages which could be distracting You have to experiment with different font sizes.
Tova

Hope this helps.

REquesting an enlarged font alone, does not require a psychoeducational eval.