Wasteful use of resources

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

Wasteful use of resources

by amysky_0205 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:37 am
Building large new hospitals in the bistate area would constitute a wasteful use of resources, on the basis of avoidance of duplicated facilities alone.

A. on the basis of avoidance of duplicated facilities alone
B. on the grounds of avoiding duplicated facilities alone
C. solely in that duplicated facilities should be avoided
D. while the duplication of facilities should be avoided
E. if only because the duplication of facilities should be avoided

OA: E

Can someone explain this one?

thank you so much!!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:770

by HerrGrau » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:23 am
Building large new hospitals in the bistate area would constitute a wasteful use of resources, on the basis of avoidance of duplicated facilities alone.

A. on the basis of avoidance of duplicated facilities alone
B. on the grounds of avoiding duplicated facilities alone
C. solely in that duplicated facilities should be avoided
D. while the duplication of facilities should be avoided
E. if only because the duplication of facilities should be avoided

This one is tricky until you realize that duplicated is the wrong word for the sentence and changes the meaning. The problem that they are outlining is not that the facilities are clones but that they are redundant. Between D and E the word while changes the meaning. You want to say building the facilities is bad BASED ON THE FACT THAT... The phrase If only because achieves that goal.

HG.
"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT Blog and GMAT Tutoring: www.AtlanticGMAT.com

Legendary Member
Followed by:20 members

by sana.noor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:01 am
But i read somewhere that the use of "Should" is wrong in "IF" clause
Work hard in Silence, Let Success make the noise.

If you found my Post really helpful, then don't forget to click the Thank/follow me button. :)

by HerrGrau » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:13 am
Hi,

If can be used with should. If you can post the link or the article that you read that would be great. I am sure that there are times when the if/should combination is inappropriate because just as any other grammatical construction: it depends on what you are trying to express

HG.
"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members

by Tommy Wallach » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:48 am
Hey Sana,

You're thinking of the usage of "should" with subjunctive command phrases. Never do that:

I demand that you should go to the store.
I request that you should buy me lunch.

But you are welcome to use "should" with "if." Consider the Lord's Prayer:

If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

This sentence is even more okay, because the if is part of the idiom "if only," and the should is in a whole other part of the sentence.

-t
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!

by viveksingh222 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:34 am
The word "should" can appear in the "If clause", but the words "would" and "could" shouldn't appear in "If clause". Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you,
Vivek.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Tommy Wallach » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:41 am
HerrGrau,

Please do not copy information from other websites. You can provide the link if you want, but don't paste. It's confusing, and you have to realize that there are different grammar styles (Google's grammar rules, for example, don't match up with the GMAT in certain ways). Also you are writing some things that aren't correct.

"If I should go to the party I will wear my tuxedo" is incorrect. You can only use "if...should" if the chance of the thing happening is very very small (see my Lord' prayer example below). So this sentence should be:

If I go to the party, I will wear my tuxedo.

However, you are absolutely right that "would" "could" and "should" can conceivably all appear in "if" clauses.

-t
ManhattanGMAT

by HerrGrau » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:58 am
Hi Tommy,

That makes sense about the pasting of the examples. Just to clarify. Are you saying that the construction: If I should ..... I will..... is incorrect? Or just that the correctness of the tuxedo sentence depends on how likely it is that I will attend the party? And perhaps you're right that I should have chosen a more obvious example to express a low probability of the action actually occurring.

HG.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Tommy Wallach » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:11 am
Hey HerrGrau,

Honestly, I don't imagine there will ever be an "if...should" construction on the real GMAT. Keep in mind, this sentence is not really and "if...should" construction. This is not a conditional "if". This "if" is part of an idiom that describes the reasoning behind something:

I should get some food, if only because my schedule is so packed tomorrow I won't be able to go.

It's "if only," not "if."

-t
ManhattanGMAT

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Tommy Wallach » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:12 am
Hey HerrGrau,

Honestly, I don't imagine there will ever be an "if...should" construction on the real GMAT. Keep in mind, this sentence is not really and "if...should" construction. This is not a conditional "if". This "if" is part of an idiom that describes the reasoning behind something:

I should get some food, if only because my schedule is so packed tomorrow I won't be able to go.

It's "if only," not "if."

-t
ManhattanGMAT