How to kickstart

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

How to kickstart

by synchrodestiny » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:13 am
Hi guys,

I had taken GMAT coaching but could not take GMAT last October due to medical problem. I had a gre score of 1360 with which I applied to schools and am interviewing for a top MBA, waiting for other. I have good WE of 8 yrs, 2 post grads one from IIT Delhi, am a star performer and have worked with top brands in India and abroad as a lead designer and innovation expert.

Coming back to the point, I realised a 720 could hv given me more confidence applying to Stanford and tuck than my 680 equivalent. I tried improving my gre score as I knew I would ace Math easily but got 320 (65q55v) which is again 670 GMAT equivalent. I want to apply in early rounds next year with a 720+ score.

How and Where should I re-start now, given I m not a starter per se. Should I start taking tests straightaway and try improving. I hv seen that with me, usual prep schedules don't work. I get drained too quickly. I am aiming at march end GMAT so I m left with time to improve if need be. Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:21 pm
It's important to note that the GRE and GMAT are different in several key ways. On the Verbal, the GRE focuses on vocabulary, whereas the GMAT focuses on grammar and logic. They both test Reading Comprehension. On Quant, the GRE is slightly more straightforward execution of math problems; the GMAT requires more conceptual abstraction in figuring out "what are they really asking?" So, your strategies for studying the GMAT might need to be slightly different than they were for the GRE.

Here's my advice for a study plan:

- Start with a practice test (either GMATPrep, or any test prep company's). Analyze it in a lot of depth, and compare it to the practice tests you took last year. In which areas were you weakest? Strongest? Fastest? Slowest? Has any of that changed since the last time you were studying? Decide which topics and question types need more of your time and attention, so you don't get burnt out.

- Study those areas topic-by-topic, and practice each topic with OG problems. For example, read the chapter (from whatever guide you're using) on SC subject/verb agreement, then go do a set of problems in the OGs that relate to that subject.

- Once you've covered all of the topics, practice your skills with random timed sets and practice tests for the last 2 weeks before the test. Focus on pattern recognition. How could you recognize what's being tested? Are there any shortcuts you could use? How does this problem connect to other problems on the same topic?

- Analyze your data from the random sets, and go back to any topics that need extra work.

Good luck!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:29 pm
To build on my buddy C's post -- a few additional thoughts/links that might help you along the way:

This link might help you out with more specific understanding/suggestions for optimizing your study plan since you've already got some experience under your belt: https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... -the-gmat/

Beyond that, I really encourage you to rely upon the practice tests you take to help optimize your approach and continue to focus on the areas that are giving you the most difficulties. Those diagnostics are so so so so so so helpful -- so take advantage:
https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... ice-tests/

Hope this helps! Good luck.

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by synchrodestiny » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:43 am
Thanks Brian and ceilidh. Points taken.

I have another issue I need your opinion on. This is especially for ceilidh.

Although I have taken GMAT prep course, I never took GMAT. However my GRE scores are
2009: 1360 (770Q 590V)
2012: 320 (165Q 155V)

I think if I aim for improving my gre score i wud just need to up my verbal by 5/7 points. Maths is more or less sorted. That is the reason why I was keen on taking GRE rather than GMAT, now that b schools have started accepting both.pleas advise if I am thinking on correct lines...wat wud be best way to up verbal..

Thanks

Synchro